Topic

Sul gear thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

So sul gear gurus you guys up to the task of building a sul gear thread as a place to start for people looking for sul gear. I know we can do it I figure everyone adds a couple things and we will be off to a good start. Categories are
    Shelter/ sleep/clothing/ cooking and hydration/ packs/. So here goes nothing
    Sleep/ my myog quilt with m90 and climashield apex 2.5 12 ounces can take me down to high30s, this awesome piece of ccf I found 3.5 ounces for a 40×20 inch piece so what do you guys have to add?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Random Thought-

Could you build this in the BPL Wiki?

Multiple parallel inputs
    Editable
    "Re-arrangable"
    Always "at the top"

I know nothing about Wiki development, but it seems like a better structure than a bunch of posts in a couple of threads.

my 2 cents

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi William,
    If you are up for a little reading, check out my trip reports on my website. Each one has a pdf gearlist. My trips range from solo SUL, beerpacking with buddies, to deep winter so they aren't all SUL because it depends very much who I am with and what time of year – they probably range from 4 lbs to about 15 for winter. You can even see how my gearlists have evolved over the years.

http://www.suluk46.com/adventure.html

They aren't a template of any kind or very generic but it should give you a pretty good idea of what type of gear I bring and stuff. I know others have found them useful.

Enjoy.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have looked at your website, video,…. very nice, thanks for doing it

What is "suluk" and "46"?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

" What is "suluk" and "46"? "

Good question, I get asked it on a regular basis.

http://www.suluk46.com/contact%20us.html

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Neat meaning for Suluk46 Steve. Killarney has a special spot in my heart too.

I'd been backpacking before, but it was Killarney where I first tried to go lightweight. A friend and myself decided to hike the La Cloche Silhouette trail in 5 days (83km) which sounded like crazy talk to the traditional hiker than I was at the time. I decided to swap my 75 liter North Face pack (7 lbs) for a GoLite LiteSpeed pack (~ 2.5lbs) and we ditched the full 6 lbs tent and just brought the fly to use as a make-shift tarp in the event of rain. Looking back on it now, my baseweight was still probably 15-20 lbs but it was down a whole lot from before. One night we slept on Silver peak, which was actually a rough night because it was really cold and windy and we found a geocache under a boulder at the peak which has a log book. The log book had an entry from earlier that day where someone wrote they saw a bear up on the peak….so we didn't sleep so great as it was one of my first nights not in a tent and supposedly a bear was wandering around that very area.

The funny thing is that by day 3 we had passed quite a few hikers and we're feeling pretty cocky about our 'lightweight' ways, when we heard some hikers catching up to us. We dismissed it as impossible, but several minutes later we were passed by two guys who were hiking the entire 83kms in one 24 hour day. That took us down a notch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools