Topic

Carry water on shoulder straps.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Carry water on shoulder straps.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Can someone tell me or point me to the right place on how to carry water on your shoulder straps? I want to mod my pack. I did a search but I couldn't find anything.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Go look at ula packs they have shock cord for this very purpose

Casey Balza

@equals

What if I don't want a ULA pack…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

look at the ula packs and add your own shock cords like they have.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

I think he was telling you to look at their packs for an idea of how to diy. Depeding on what type of pack/straps you have, you could loop some shock cord behind the webbing and then put a cord lock on it to cinch down on the bottle.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's my ULA Catalyst in action:
    Shoulder bottle holder on ULA Catalyst

It's a pretty simple system…couple of shock cords with adjustable locks on them. Very convenient.

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

You can buy line locks and shock cord off Joe at Zpacks for real cheap.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

I just added my own shock cords to my Osprey Exos 46 on the sholder straps. Copied from pictures of a ULA pack.

Easy as and carries a small water bottle well.

I didn't use line loc's though as I opted for a knot at a fixed size loop. I always use the same sided bottle though so need no adjustment.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I am in the process of making a modification to my REI Venturi 40 pack to add in the water bottle shoulder straps myself since I wanted the feature but don't really want the ULA pack to get it either. I still haven't gotten the cord I am going to use in the final, but I'm planning on getting something similar to the shock cord ULA uses. The pack I'm doing this on right now has several daisy chains on the upper sections of the shoulder straps and these are what I plan on attatching the shock cord onto. If your pack doesn't have a daisy chain strip (as I know many UL packs don't)I suppose you could try adding some webbing at the points you want. Without some close up photos of the ULA version that's the only way I know of adding it to the shoulders without pinching the straps and keeping the cord in place.

As to placement, I made a mock up with cheap cord and did a trial and error till I found a location comfortable for me. Also I have a feeling that depending on the bottle you plan on using the second holder strap might not be needed, but I am not sure. Hope this helps!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

scavenge a couple of` 1/8" thick pony-tail holders from wife/girlfriend/daughter. Basically a 1.25-1.5 circle of shock-cord. You will have to figure out the rest.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

You can check out the ZPacks Cuben Fiber Shoulder Pouches to see how they go about making theirs.

Since going with shoulder pouches I have totally ditched both hip pockets and side pouches. I use one of the ZPacks Shoulder Pouches on each shoulder strap and it has totally worked out for me.

Rather off-topic, but does anybody know of any studies (official or not) that goes into details on the wisdom of hikers shifting their weight from their hip pockets and side pockets, onto their shoulder straps? If not, it seems like it would be a rather interesting study for somebody out there with such skills to do!

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I have used the pack strap water bottle pocket from mountain laurel designs for several years. They work very well. Another option is the bot spot from simblissity, should be available again very soon,dave

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools