Topic

7d Karo Step Sewn-Thru Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 7d Karo Step Sewn-Thru Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"I am ordering materials to make a karo quilt as I read this. Mine will be 1.5" thick average, with 1" tall baffles. (I have done a sewn thru quilt before and I like baffles). I am still vacillating over the box sizes."

I was thinking of doing exactly the same. Post pics and descriptions of how you did it when you are done…

thanks,
    BM

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I am going to do the same thing but with M90 as it needs to be stronger.

I am going to use 14" boxes but a 6" baffle going across and10" baffles going down. This should keep the down from shifting don with gravity.

I would think that we have been warned already to not use a 14" box with only 1.5" of thickness???
    Maybe I'll make the boxes 10.5" to get the same width as the 14"?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Ryan,

I just wanted to see how this ended up working out for you. It looks great. I'm just curious how it performs at lower temperatures (30-40F).

-Jordan

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

JP,

I've used this quilt quite a bit and it's worked well for me so far. I've always used it as a 40F quilt so I don't have much experience below that. It's warm at 40F, but I imagine that is about it's comfort limit. If I made another one I would tighten the KARO baffles slightly – maybe 10/6. I'm an active side sleeper so after a couple nights I have to fluff the down back to where it should be. Only takes five minutes, but I try to cut out all of the fiddle factor these days.

Ryan

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Thanks for the reply.

Did you get any cold spots at 40F? I've read from multiple sources that this is right at the edge of how far you'd want to take them (40F for continuous but I know Karo performs better in the cold).

I'm specifically looking at whether or not sewn through is an option for a friend's quilt. They're looking for something that they could use around 40F but would like it to be good down to 30F just to be safe. My expectation is that cold spots would be uncomfortable but not dangerous and that clothes or a liner would offset this as well.

-Jordan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jordan:

Not to answer for someone else, but I have a sewn thru 40° Revelation (Karo) from Enlightened Equipment.

To address your concerns and thoughts:

To use it down to 30° you will definitely want smaller squares as mentioned above to limit down shift. As long as there is adequate down in each chamber, pushing below 40° a tad should work for "average/warm" sleepers. Adding puffy clothing will take you to 30°, although some will be uncomfortable pushing anything 10° below its specified limit. And of course, when you touch a sewn-thru seam ( and you will) it will, as you say, be uncomfortable.

Oh…one more thought: if your friend sleeps on his/her side you will want an odd number of chambers so they will have a chamber directly above the shoulder when sleeping. Otherwise the shoulder will end up right against the seam, down will shift downward due to gravity and brrrr!

10d Material + high quality down makes for a LIGHT, soft & comfy quilt that packs tiny.

Please post pics of whatever you do – I love these quilt threads!

Todd

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Agree with Todd. Clothes can get you to 30F. While I haven't been cold at 40F in this quilt, I can tell it's close to its limit. Instead of being toasty warm it's more like a "yeah, this is OK" feeling.

Ryan

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

The odd number of chambers is a good insight Todd :-)

EDIT:

I also wonder, if one were to choose to do a few baffles, which would be more useful? My instinct tells me that some of the central baffles might be best. The last baffles towards the edge wouldn't matter as much, esp if you tuck the quilt under at the extremes of temp range anyway?

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools