Topic

Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Jennifer Pharr Davis attempts overall AT Speed Record (supported)- NYT Article

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Speedster Jennifer Pharr Davis is on Day 37 of her supported Appalachian Trail speed record of 47 days, last set by Andrew Thompson in '05. Here is a piece in the NYT on her story:

Speed Hiker Thrives on Natural Rhythms of the Appalachian Trail

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Been following her progress a little on another site. Looks like w/o an injury she will make it a few hours ahead of the current record holder.

Ryan

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sweet, thanks for the link Eugene, I'll be following this.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Crimminy, my knees ache just reading this article. If you have ever tried to backpack a long distance in a single day either out of necessity or (as some do here) for "fun", well, I think you could identify with the effort necessary to accomplish such a feat.

Honestly, could I do 48 miles in a day? I've done 35 in the Sierra, so I would think yes, there might be one day in me when I could do 48 given the right preparation and terrain (assuming 16 hours of walking). Could I do two back-to-back. Heck, no.

That's what makes these things so impressive. It's not the daily miles as much as it is the repetitious nature of those miles.

Thanks for posting this!

Dirk

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Absolutely Dirk,

Consecutive hard efforts like that must be unreal, the few individuals who get up and repeat marathon distance and beyond hiking over a stretch of weeks and months are dedicated and inspiring folk.

I really hope she clears the record, doing so will only inspire someone else to challenge it later on and push the envelope of body and mind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools