Topic

Sierra Nevada Grand Slam!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sierra Nevada Grand Slam!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Has anyone?

A) Attempted

B) Planned

C) Contemplated

D) Dreamed of

What I call the “Sierra Nevada Grand Slam”

Imagine doing The TRT, then the TYT dropping down to the TST and finish heading north on the JMT?
    For the last two years I have been staring at the possibility (before I stumbled onto this site) of doing the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) then head south along the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail (TYT) to Tuolumne Meadows, hike down the valley to the start of the Theodore Solomons Trail(TST).From Glacier Point hike the TST south to Cottonwood and head up to Whitney Portal, on up to summit of Mount Whitney and finish it all off with a northward rush back to Tuolomne via the JMT.

For the real adventurous throw in Steve Ropers High Sierra Route as a return leg south!

Sound possible? Randy

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I’ve never heard of the TST, and google isn’t helping, where can I find out about it?

Thanks

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Hello,

The TST starts at Glacier Point in Yosemite and goes to Cottonwood Lakes south of Mount Whitney. It is about 270 miles long and is at lower elevation and to the left of the JMT. The book that I have was written by Dennis Gagnon and can be found at Amazon for less than $10. It has always been one of those “If I had the time” kind of backpacks after doing the other backpacks.
    I have read the book a few times, got out the topo maps and worked out the resupply points but that is as far as that went. If it is like the TYT then you will go days without seeing other backpackers.
    The Sierras can be a weird experience. On the JMT highway you can meet, and remeet people but out north of Yosemite it is empty like my trip on the Colorado Trail……..5 backpackers in 9 days!

Have a look, Randy

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I hiked the TYT and JMT between the last two summers. I am considering doing the TRT or High Sierra Route in 07… so I guess I'm on my way to hiking the grand slam.

Knowing nothing of the TST besides what I've read in this thread, I can't really speak to the viability of hiking the whole thing in one go… but of course it seems possible. I guess the real question for this forum is: can it be done SUL and unsupported? ;-)

Thanks for planting the seeds for me to now contemplate it and dream of it. Would be fun to plan too…

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Randy,

Did you mark up the TST on a single or multiple maps where you could photograph what the route looks like? It's hard to imagine looking at the 12 pages by Dennis Gagnon what the route looks like, compared to the JMT.

Also on this page at The High Sierra Topix forum, the person asserts Gagnon's maps have some errors in it.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10246

What topo maps did you order to visualize the route?

Thanks!

Roleigh Martin
    Lead Moderator
    JohnMuirTrail yahoo group (our group wants to know more about the TST)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools