Topic

MYOG Water filter help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Water filter help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

Hello everyone! I just purchased a Sawyer 4-Way Water Filter (for a great price!) and want to make it into an ultralight setup. What do you guys recommend to do this? Also, where can one get the materials (ie tubes, etc) to make it happen?

I appreciate your help and look forward to responses!

Cheers!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You can use it as-is, just add chlorine drops to the dirty water in the bottle.
    4-5 drops per quart.

If you want a gravity setup you can use a 1L water bottle cut in half as a scooper and a funnel. IE cut it in half and use it to store everything.

Some people use a 2L platy with the top cut off as the top part of a gravity bag system. You want to prefilter with something like a coffee filter etc.

Vinyl is probably the lightest tubing.
    You can get it from Ace hardware or Home Depot.

I scavenged part of an Aqaumira frontier pro for one of my setups.

Only other thing you might want is a few platys or some grocery store water bottles as containers, a dropper bottle and some chlorine if you want to kill viruses and bacteria.

Here is a link to one of my setups.

Different sawyer filter but basically the same idea. You would just use push on hoses.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/Hiking%20gear/?action=view&current=squeezechain_resize.jpg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools