Topic

Ben’s packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ben’s packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Bartlett

@bdbart

Just wanted to share some of my recent projects. From largest to smallest

Large BackpackLarge BackpackLarge BackpackMedium BackpackMedium BackpackMedium BackpackSmall BackpackSmall BackpackSmall Backpack

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Ben,
    Nice work on the backpacks I have not seen much silnylon pack in awhile, I really like the clamshell pack design. How tall is the pack? It look like it could be a lumbar pack?
    Terry

Benjamin Bartlett

@bdbart

The first one is 24" tall. The material is 70D nylon..mostly, some of the pockets are 1.1 oz. silnylon. I chose this material for its lightweight and cheap price. Only the last one is a 'clamshell' design…like most school backpacks. The first one has a 'clamshell' pocket on the front and has carbon fiber arrow shafts as an internal frame.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

How do you like the carbon fiber arrow shafts? I have been looking at bending some aluminum poles into a U for my next pack, or using some coroplast.

I never thought about using those, but I bet they are very light and rigid.

K

Benjamin Bartlett

@bdbart

I do not have a 'cross bar' for the frame. This is a similar idea…you are gonna have to scroll through about half the pics….I am pointing out the internal frame idea
    [URL="http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73381-Kelty-Map-3500-Review.-56k-suicide?highlight=kelty"]http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73381-Kelty-Map-3500-Review.-56k-suicide?highlight=kelty[/URL]

I have not used any of these packs on a hike, yet…but they seem pretty sturdy and I had extra arrow shafts… You can also get some at wally world for $3..YMMV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools