Topic

Need Help: Eating Schedule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Need Help: Eating Schedule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I think I do okay on this front but I'm always tweaking and trying to find new ways (and foods) for trail nutrition. What do you eat/drink and when do you do it?

For the sake of this example, let's assume a 60-mile, three-day trip with a goal of 20 miles a day but the possibility of going for 25 or 30 if the mood strikes the group.

I've done something like this in the past (Disclaimer: I personally don't have a sweet tooth):

5:00 a.m. wake up, jug a cold Starbucks Via, eat a bar or Protein Bites.

7:00 a.m. munch on salty snack on the trail

9:00 a.m. drink a mix like Cytomax and eat another salty snack

12:00 p.m. eat a slightly larger snack

3:00 p.m. munch on some Protein Bites or other high calorie/energy substance / More Cytomax if needed

5:00 p.m. sit down for a quick meal preferably by a very scenic spot, usually dehydrated meal heated up in a tiny alcohol pot and Caldera cone

7:00 p.m. (if needed for mileage) much a final bar or jerky to fill the belly at camp.

9:00 p.m. a little whisky – 200-600 calories, right :-)

REPEAT

Anyone have any thoughts or personal schedules they don't mind sharing?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My personal schedule is something like this (it varies by trip and mileage). Keep in mind I am diabetic and must be rather strict about it to an extent. I'm slow and relaxed in the morning but like to be on the trail or water early. This also changes slightly when we are traveling with friends who have other schedules in mind.

5:40 am wake up, laze for a few minutes, test blood glucose, get the food out of the bear hang, have half of an energy bar

6:20 am camp is now fully dismantled and I have a proper breakfast with coffee (and I account for the carbohydrate in the energy bar that I had earlier).

6:45 am wash and dry dishes, finish packing

7:00 am hit the trail (or water if paddling)

9:30 am test blood glucose again, have a snack (size/type will depend on the result of the test)

11:45 am test blood glucose again, make decision whether to push on or stop for lunch (lunch is usually pita and hummus or some sort of other dip)

2:30 pm test blood glucose again, have a snack (size/type will depend on the result of the test)

5:00 pm test blood glucose again, eat a small snack if necessary

5:30 pm make camp, pump water (if I haven't done it earlier in a more convenient location), find suitable bear bag hanging spot and put rope in place (hate doing that in the dark) and think about dinner. At this point I may boil water to rehydrate a meal if it contains chicken or pork.

6:45 pm eat dinner

7:10 pm wash and dry dishes, pack bear bag for hanging, leave out something to snack on later (often a couple pieces of fine dark chocolate or the rest of the bar from breakfast), hang said bear bag

9:30 pm test blood glucose for the last time, eat a snack and watch the stars if there are any

10:00 pm settle in for the night

repeat for 5 to 15 days depending on the trip

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I eat when hungry, drink when thirsty and on those kind of miles I don't stop very often. I carry a bag up front that I can access and eat as I walk. I carry a vast assortment of single serving foods that I can munch on easily – but mostly I don't over think it and just go by my body.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I eat when hungry, drink when thirsty and on those kind of miles I don't stop very often. I carry a bag up front that I can access and eat as I walk. I carry a vast assortment of single serving foods that I can munch on easily – but mostly I don't over think it and just go by my body."

Works for me. I don't even think about it. The only exception may be on long days over difficult terrain. I am often not that hungry at night but eat as large a dinner as I can. It helps prepare the body for the next long day.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I should have said this originally when I brought this up: for some reason, I rarely feel hungry (whether siting at work or hiking on the trail). This has created some not ideal hiking scenarios when I push too hard and go too long without eating. I find that a schedule of sorts helps me get around this problem.

Sarah, what are some of the snacks you carry that are the tastiest and most useful (caloric-wise)?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I love kettle style potato chips (crunch, stays together, high potassium), glazed nuts, single serving cheese, candy bars, homemade bars full of calories – that kind of stuff. Basically if it sounds good, I take it. I might add that even if doesn't appear to be high enough calorie I don't worry – I can make it balance.

Also instant hummus or the single serving squeeze packets of it, spreadable cheese like Laughing Cow and have it on Ritz Crackers or similar (you can get them in single serving rolls!).

I know how hard it can be to eat at night – so if it is really hot during the day I sometimes plan a thin broth soup, a cups worth. Have that first, then drink a bunch of cold liquids. Then rest a bit and by 8 pm or 9 pm I can eat dinner. That really boosts my appetite and helps me avoid the dread dehydration headache!!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I eat when hungry, drink when thirsty and on those kind of miles I don't stop very often. I carry a bag up front that I can access and eat as I walk. I carry a vast assortment of single serving foods that I can munch on easily – but mostly I don't over think it and just go by my body."

That doesn't work for me, as I almost never feel hungry when I'm exerting myself. My habit is to force feed myself a snack at least every hour, in addition to regular breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

evan~
    eat BEFORE hungry
    drink BEFORE thirsty
    don't overthink it man.
    high calorie, quality nutrition! is what counts.
    stick with "nature" made foods
    steer clear of manufactured shwagg
    you'll go further, faster on less.
    lt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools