Topic

Puttees anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Puttees anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was reading some jabber about gaiters (I use ’em) and flashed on the old WWI leggings. Some soilders wore shaped canvas leggings that were very close to what we now call gaiters, but the predecessor was a simple wrapping on the lower leg.

I found a web site that shows how it was done: http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/80th/putting_on_puttees.htm .

What a simple way to keep your lower legs protected! I could see all kinds of remainders from projects being used for this. Some stetchy polyester knit might work well.

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

Colin Fletcher uses Ace bandages as puttees, dual purpose gaiters and first aid.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I considered that. I was thinking Pertex scraps or the like. Properly wound, the layers are like shingles and the water would run off, just like regualr gaiters, but much more breathable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools