Topic

Water Came Fast and Furious and Guaranteed a Tragic End to Crossers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Water Came Fast and Furious and Guaranteed a Tragic End to Crossers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Watch this short video. Then re-watch the first 5 seconds again and notice how very little water there was initially — and how it all became a raging torrent just seconds afterward!!

Supposedly, the folks were warned about the high monsoon waters… but thinking about it… if I had been hiking for miles that day, and my campsite is just a bit past the other side… and despite hearing "general warnings" earlier in the day, just the fact that there was so little water and how it takes just 7 seconds to skip over… I might well have attempted it as well???

EDIT: TRAGIC END may not be suitable viewing for everyone. Viewer discretion advised.

tommy d

@vinovampire

agh. that was a real kick to the guts. tragic.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Lots of respect for nature here, how terrible

Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

Very tragic, still thanks for sharing. Very clear warning for the future.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very tragic video and an equally sad situation in Yosemite.

Even though I live in the PNW now (water, water everywhere), the only time I was in a flash flood situation was at Slickrock Creek near Fontana Dam in Tennessee and North Carolina in the middle of summer. It was eye-opening to me given the location and time of year. The previous week of summer storms had lessened the temperature a bit (good) but added a lot of water.

We were sitting and eating on a small island in the middle of the creek, just downstream from a waterfall. Someone asked, "Where did that big rock go next to the waterfall?" By the time we realized what was happening and grabbed our stuff, we were wading in waist deep water towards the hillside and trail.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Steven:

Good thing someone in your group was attentive! Truth be told, I've never actually been in a flash flood situation. Reading comprehension is one thing, but seeing is truly believing! What really hits me (human tragedy aside), is that I likely would have attempted to across as well, given the initial moderate trickle of water. Why would that stop me and make me turn back, especially if I've come this far already…??

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

In deserts flash floods can happen in perfectly good weather and the source of water can be far, far away. Although washes can be very inviting places to sleep, they can be extremely dangerous. I have seen some mind boggling flash floods similar to that video.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Thats a terrible fate for that family.

Happens in the southwestern US with arroyos/small canyons are mostly carved by flash floods as desert soils do not hold water very well. Monsoon season (July-Aug) mostly from Pacific hurricanes, then another burst possible in late Sept-early Oct are the most dangerous times.

Going over some I-25 overpasses with raging rivers going under the freeway demonstrated to me how powerful this storm runoff can be.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Here in the Mojave Desert in Nevada we get some really dangerous flash floods. There are public service announcements every summer on the dangers, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to cross a flooded area in a vehicle.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Terrible….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools