Topic

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I hear you about SUL – but only in terms of SUL being to lightweight backpacking as race cars are to daily street driving. i.e. SUL often isn't practical enough in the eyes of most backpackers.

That said, SUL backpackers, like race cars, lead the way technologically and in design. There's a real need for SUL folks to be out there on the trail testing and refining materials and designs for the more "weight challenged" of us. I do believe it was SULers who brought us Cuben "fabric", among other nice things.

Now… if SUL folks could just find a way to make food lighter (with less f^$&!ng sodium) THAT would be a great breakthrough. Dehydrated and freeze-dried foods are it, for now, the latter usually being lightest. And I guess pastas will never get any lighter.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Here's your food solution to all the sodium and garbage in commercial food:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/quick_healthy_meals_with_an_ultralight_cook_kit.html

I think this article paves the road for some pretty fresh, wholesome, healthy trail food. The quality of what's being eaten compared to the weight is pretty darn good; Clelland and Lauren really changed the way I approached backpacking food with this article. This, and reading Jardines ideas about carrying fresh foods (I was on a backpacking trip with someone and they thought it was funny that I was pulling out apples and bananas. I love carrying onions if I'm woodfire cooking).

I think the article proves that with proper planning, good food shouldn't weigh or cost too much more than the store bought junk.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Wrong thread

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools