Topic

Allegheny National Forest, PA.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Allegheny National Forest, PA.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Sometime this fall/early winter (when the bugs and most of the people are gone) I want to spend a few nights in the Allegheny National Forest of Pennsylvania.

The first option that caught my attention was Heart's Content Scenic Area:

"Hearts Content National Scenic Area is a tract of old-growth forest in Warren County, northwestern Pennsylvania. It represents one of the few remaining old-growth forests in the northeastern United States that contain white pine. The area is protected as a National Scenic Area within the Allegheny National Forest."

… awesome – but I really don't want to stay at its campground:

"26 family campsites and a large group area with picnic tables, fire rings and tent pads. Two campsites have lean-to shelters and charcoal grills. Vault toilets, pressurized water, an amphitheater and playground are also available."

… that makes me feel sick. Unless I go 'stealth mode', I'll have to look elsewhere.

The Dispersed Camping Areas might be my next option.

Any recommendations on where, in the Allegheny National Forest, I can safely leave the car, hike into a remote patch of quiet wilderness, and stay a few nights without being bothered? I will be driving from north eastern Ohio and would prefer to keep the commute time to a minimum.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi Nick,

PA has a ton of great backpacking trails which will get you (for the most part) away from crowds and campsites. The Black Forest Trail, Loyalsock Trail, and others would give you just what you need.

I have a trail write-up from Backpacking Pennsylvania (great book and resource) handy for the Allegheny Front Trail. Check it out!

http://files.meetup.com/1502009/Allegheny%20Front%20Trail%20Package.pdf

Will Webster

@willweb

The Minister Creek Trail has road access and car camping at its southern end, but the North Country Trail passes through the north end and there are some good camping spots. We spent a day there several years ago on a BCT backpack and really enjoyed it. Probably best to avoid weekends if you can.

http://www.inquiry.net/images/minister_trail50.jpg

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I really appreciate the recommendations, guys. Thanks! Lots to research before getting out this fall.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools