Topic

Non baggy, finely sized pants recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Non baggy, finely sized pants recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of long summer pants for hiking/backpacking. I've found that I fall between a small and a medium on most pants. What's more, since I have skinny legs, most pants are baggy on me to the point of looking ridiculous. (Yeah, I know it's not a fashion show out there, but….) The closest I came to a good fit was the North Face Horizon Peak Surplus small waist short length–but it was an inch or so too tight in the waist.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer that makes pants in waist sizes that go up in one inch increments? For reference, I wear 31×30 Levi's 501's.

Thanks!

rhz

B. Kelly Saine

@slohiker57

Locale: NC Foothills

I have three or four different versions of RR pants and they are ALL cut much slimmer in the lower legs than my ExOfficios. I have large calves and the RR's are almost annoying, so the slim cut may suit you.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If they're baggy they'll be cooler – more air flow

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Patagonia Sol Patrol are in 1" increments, aren't baggy, and are super light. I love mine. Patagonia usually has cosmetic seconds for pretty cheap and I haven't been able to find any flaws in the ones I've bought.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Arc'Teryx "rampart" pants may work for you. Cut just enough to move, but not baggy. Lightweight and tough.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I second the ramparts. I have two pair and love them. They're very light, cool for most climes (in the AZ desert they can get warm in direct sun regardless of color) and slim cut. Kind of expensive but I wear them constantly.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another +1 for the Ramparts. I think with your need for an in-between size, your best bet would be get somewhere you can try on before you buy. But — if they work for you, the Ramparts are great. REI carries them if you can wait for the fall 20% off, and they have some on sale at http://www.mountaingear.com if you want to buy online.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Look for pants intended for climbing, or pants made by alpine/climbing companies like Mountain Hardware and Arc'teryx. Climbers tend to be a lanky bunch, and require an athletic fit lest excess fabric snag somewhere. My legs aren't skinny, but overly baggy pants, which I've found most to be, just feel sloppy to wear and walk in.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

long ago i bought a pair of pants from beyondfleece. custom made for me to my exact size. i still wear them and would love a winter weight version. for 100 bucks or so worth considering at least.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Patagonia Rock Guides- they come in true waist sizes, not tight, but not baggy- kind of the Goldilocks cut :) they are also pretty light and VERY tough

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

Search no more, Rafi. I was doing the same search you are not too long ago. I'm not really not into baggy pants as I'm pretty skinny myself. I found the Outdoor Research Equinox Pants to be perfect for me. I think they make them convertible as well.
    Here's what they look like on me.

OR Equinox

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

I'm a huge fan of the REI Endeavor! (I know that not… most, people hate REI on here) But they are super stretchy great fitting and the material is awesome. They make the Endeavor in pants, shorts and convertibles. And hell, if you hate them, just return em :)

Cheers,
    Jason

PS They are sort of expensive though – probably as much as Patagonia and NF….

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Check out the Patagonia traverse pants. Simple, stretchy, athletic pants. No fly or buttons or any of that bogus stuff. My guess is that they are much more water resistant than many of the other pants mentioned as well. They dry very fast too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools