Topic

Bear Lockers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Degnim

@rdegnim

Hi a I will be backpacking via the SHR and I am considering storing a food cache in south lakes bear lockers. Has anyone ever had any issues with storing food at trailhead/campground bear lockers for several days? Meaning cache was stolen or anything of that nature.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I can't speak to experience with this exact topic or know how many lockers there are available, but you might want to make an official inquiry, as I've read there are several lockers that have been damaged in the Sierras this year; that, on top of the hikers already using those lockers, space may be more of a concern this year than it has been in the past…?

Ryan Degnim

@rdegnim

Interesting, that is something worth noting as their will be a higher volume of hikers on the trails in august due to the high snowpack.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I am considering storing a food cache in south lakes bear lockers."

You might want to check with one of the ranger stations. I think what you are contemplating is against the locker usage rules.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools