Topic

ZPacks Dyneema X 26 Backpack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ZPacks Dyneema X 26 Backpack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

ZPacks Dyneema X 26 Backpack Review

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

"Use side compression straps, rather than elastic cords, to better compress the pack"

What if, instead of 'straps', Joe used inelastic cordage, like his z-line or another cord typically used for guylines?

That way, it wouldn't stretch, but would still be sublimely light and take exactly the same amount of work in making the pack. Also, it's mod anybody could do at home.

I'm looking at this pack and thinking that the extra volume would be fine if it had the wrap-around compression options that modern Golite Jams have; what if the guyline cord was strung through the back mesh, though, so the pocket could be filled and accessed even while the main body of the pack was thoroughly compressed on three sides? I haven't many miles of experience with UL packs yet, but that designs seems like money to me.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Will, glad to read in more detail about this pack. It seems you've made some good suggestions to advance this pack. I'm surprised that the carbon rods don't do much for pack collapse. That's the thing that bothers me most about going to a very light pack.

edit: I definitely admire many of Joe's creations and will finally end up with some of his gear some day.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I have a blast 26 with inelastic compression straps which worked really well until I decided to switch to the'cloud method' endorsed by Mike C. Joe did not charge me any extra for this, I just had to ask. Joe will do just about anything to keep his customers happy.

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

Locale: SE US

Did you get a measured volume for the Blast/Dyneema X 20? 54L is alot more pack than I need.

Johan Westring
    BPL Member

@johan

It looks like a great pack. Both of the cons seems like a non issue. With inelastic/elastic cordage on the sides you can be much more flexible backpack. I prefer using cordage that runs from the top to bottom and goes inside the lower pocket. That stabilizes the pack and pushes the center of gravity closer to your back. It will make the backpack feel much lighter.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Just playing Devil' advocate here… Too many features on your pack maybe?

A quick clarification. I think, had the pad been used as the frame, you wouldn't have had as many issues with the volume? What do you think? Honestly I want one of his packs and the pad as the frame is my go to method. The benefits seem to out-way the issues. But my son loves his pack that has the same features.

Thanks for the great article. It got me thinking.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the review. These packs are pretty fully featured. I think a lot of people would be better off building up one of Joe's size Medium Zero packs instead (same basic pack) and adding the features they want. This way you don't get features you don't want, and you can opt for a dry bag style roll top to easily reduce volume.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools