Topic

Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Hi all,

So I've been trying out different inflatable pillows and find both the Kooka bay one and the flexair single chamber uncomfortable. Mostly I think this is due to my head wanting to roll off of the thing and never quite coming to a comfy spot, even when underinflated. I was thinking of trying to find a way to maybe bond the very middle of the fabric of the kooka bay to the other side, giving it a middle dimple. I was thinking that if small enough it shouldn't make my head hit the group (the surrounding area would hopefully prevent that.

A) Is this a dumb idea?

B) Do you have any other ideas?

C) What would be a decent way to go about this? I'm thinking just a small puncture in the middle and some seam sealer inside and out.

I have tried the Mike C. ziplocks and a stuff sack method to no avail

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Is it heat bondable polyurethane coated nylon? Maybe you could heat seal a dot into the middle?

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

I wish I knew more about fabrics to help address that question, but all I know is that it looks like http://kookabay.com/pillows.html and the manufacturer doesn't say.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I assume you've tried under-inflating the pillow and that doesn't work for you?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

had the same issue, underinflating the pillow a bit and a hair tie tight around the center makes an ok quick fix

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

What about Mike's tip of using several gallon zip top bags partially inflated?

I've had the same problem, head rolls around, I just use a foam pillow but it's kind of heavy – about 5 ounces

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Sorry I should have said that yes, I under inflate and it's still pretty bad to me. I've also tried Mike C's advice with the zip locks but it wasn't something I did well with.

I'll have to try the hair tie thing! I think that might actually be pretty perfect to sort of sandwich me in the middle

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Hair tie is pretty stinkin' ingenious. I've been putting the flexair pillow inside my $5 Walmart fleece pillow with memory foam (tossed the plastic air pillow that came in it). Trying a WM pillow next.

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Locale: Western NC Mountains

Yep, I second the hair tie. That's lighter than my idea: I had planned to try a light cable tie for the same thing. If the hair tie works it would be more comfortable and probably lighter.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Well, I can tell you my experiences so far. Tuesday I tried out the Kooka Bay pillow, woke up a bit unhappy due to tons of sweat. Last night I tried the hair tie idea with a buff wrapped around the pillow, which was a LOT better. I eventually got another hair tie (yes, I bought a pack for backpacking) and made a sort of tiny middle, big sides, type pillow, that was pretty killer! WAY better than a single pocket inflatable and I didn't wake up all sweaty gross

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Have you tried these?

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/sleeping/flexAirPillow.html

I used one last weekend in Mammoth for four days and it worked great. I just under inflate it some and my head stays on no problem. Well worth the extra .5 oz

oops, sorry I didn't see that you mentioned this type of pillow in your original post. Disregard my post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools