Topic

Need some wardrobe advice from bigger guys…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need some wardrobe advice from bigger guys…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Hey guys, I'm going back out to the Gila Wilderness in early September and still haven't quite worked out some wardrobe issues.

I'm a pretty big guy, and I'm trying to find some good pants. Last Gila trip I was on I wore Magellan zip-off fishing pants and had very limited mobility the way they fit around my thighs.

When I went to Big Bend I wore goofy polyester-ish exercise pants just because I knew they were comfortable. The problem with those pants was they weren't the most durable and they don't zip off which I'd prefer.

Are there any big guys on the forums that can recommend something that works well for you?

Thanks,

-Rob

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Clothing seems to be cut fuller for our brothers in pursuit of game, I would head to a store that outfits hunters like a Cabelas or GI Joes, Columbia offers all their zip off pants in bigger sizes or you could go for the retro Western Washington look and wear long underwear under your shorts.
    Pants with a gusseted crotch and articulated knees have more "range of motion built", to steal a phrase, in before binding. I have a pair of Patagonia Gi pants that have a lot of room, but they have a couple of more models, the Rock Guide and Nomader made with different fabrics that might be more approriate. Patagonia's help line will find the answers on comparing their models.
    Yoga pants probably have the most room but I know of none that convert so they would fall into a MYOG, possibly a local seamstress could help.
    Many soft shell pants have a lot of stretch built in but few fall into a light category and the ones that I have don't dry fast, but my pocket book doesn't allow for trying every new fabric out there hopefully someone else can chime in about their attributes. Good luck.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I am a big guy (6'2" 325#-yes for those keeping track i got fatter) and i wear size 4xl REI Sahara zip offs. they have crotch gusset which is a must. I can easily fit into the 2XL but they bind in the thigh like you experienced. To have total freedom of movement i must go up in size and just crank the belt down. Haven't tried the 3XL as i found the 4x at the garage sale and have been running with that ever since. i do find however that a short short (i wear a few styles from mountain hardware in 2xl)offers the same freedom of movement while fitting better in the waist and hips without being so baggy. a lot of hunting stores have bigger sizes but not often are the crotches gusseted which to me makes a big difference in comfort and freedom of movement.

-Tim

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Thank you gentlemen, very good advice!

And Tim, I did see those Saharas at REI and I meant to try them on the next time I was in the store but I haven't been able to return since. I'm glad to hear a good review on them. What got my attention was the fabric (seemed sturdy and water resistant) and they carried plus sizes which as I'm sure you know it's hard to find stuff. I'll try some of those on soon!

I'll definitely have to look at going a size up for more thigh room, that's the killer. I wouldn't have thought of that. Does the metal of the belt cut into you at all? Sometimes I have that issue.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

6'5" and 235#s. Definitely REI Sahara

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

mine are a million years old and have a plastic side release buckle so i can't comment on the new buckle, sorry.

-Tim

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Give the Sportkilt Hiker a try. I'm 6'2" tall, 225 lbs. Best $80.00 piece of backpacking clothing i ever bought!

http://www.sportkilt.com/product/1051/The-Hiker-Black-Stewart.htmlkilt

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

@Tim- Alrighty no prob, I'll just go in and check 'em out.

@Matthew- That kilt idea is tempting… Problem is, I'd end up traversing through the woods whilst belting out a random chain of ridiculous phrases in a Scottish accent. And let's not even count the amount of times I would pose as William Wallace back at the campsite lol. I have Scottish family though so I'm already a fan of the kilt. I'm gonna give that some serious consideration!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

No one messes with a big guy in a kilt. I tried the MH one once, and I just looked like a cross-dresser with chicken legs. fail.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

But then again, I'm far, far from a big guy.

Chicken Legs

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

6 ' 5" 235 and wear the xl long sahara pants. Durable and comfortable from my perspective.

I also have a pair of railriders, but they are a little tight in the thighs. I usually wear a 40 in most pants 38 in some.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools