Topic

Half-Bag / Insulated Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Half-Bag / Insulated Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jackson

@just_jeff

Locale: Colorado's Front Range

Hey Bill – did you ever do anything with the REI pants that convert to an elephant’s foot? ( http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4455/index.html?skip_to_post=32055#32055 )

I prototyped an uninsulated pair to see how it would work…not sure if I’m gonna make an insulated pair or not.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHalfBagPants.html

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Perhaps the greatest advantage of going through the hassle of converting pants to a half-bag is not to keep your body warmer, but to avoid waking up to your water container a solid brick of ice, your camera frozen shut, your socks stiff as a board from ice, and your boots like concrete. You can’t very well stuff all that crap down the legs of insulated pants, but you can put it inside a half bag for instant use in the cold, cold morning.

Jeff Jackson

@just_jeff

True. But I don’t foresee using these without at least a top quilt b/c I only need insulated pants when it really cold…otherwise I just get into my quilt.

I could put these pants on over my boots, though…another advantage.

Still not sure if it’s worth the effort, though.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> not to keep your body warmer, but to avoid waking up to your water container a solid brick of ice, your camera frozen shut, your socks stiff as a board from ice, and your boots like concrete.
    You forgot the worst one of all: frozen contact lenses! Found mine is a little bed of slush one morning…

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

hmmm… that’s pretty neat… gotta bookmark this…

Kevin Pietriyk

@pietriyk

Locale: Northeastern PA

Not sure if anyone thought of it already, but I seem to remember somewhere a mention that the zippers would be on the inseam and therefore irritating. I just had a thought about making the zippers on the outside, full-length, and flipping it around somehow to make the waist/crotch area the foot, and zip it together that way. Not sure if it would work at all, but it just came to me a minute ago. Might have to hack into an old pair of pants tonight to satisfy my curiosity.

Jeff Jackson

@just_jeff

Making the circumference of the ankles big enough to fit your waist when you flipped it around might make for baggy pants…like bell-bottoms! At least you'd be stylin!

Of course, it depends on how big your waist is compared to your ankles…might work better for some than others…

Definitely worth experimenting with.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools