Topic

Final “taking this” list for solo JMT Aug 1-14

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Final “taking this” list for solo JMT Aug 1-14

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asw1L5H29SIQdHVNcDNMTFNrLXZtcnVPdUJnWTlKOXc&hl=en_US&authkey=CKKMz9oN

This list has been heavily modified from the one I posted about a month ago and was hoping someone could have a look.

I'm debating just how much sunscreen I'm going to need with running shorts, but honestly I can't do long pants AND long sleeves and hike happy. I just overheat and am miserable. I figure if I get way too cold then I can always hike in my sleep pants? Maybe I should be pants as backups? I hate the thought of bringing backup anything. I am concerned that early/late hiking would suck in shorts, but, I think I can "man-up" and do without

I want the hoop stays because my pack isn't comfy with the up to 22lb I'm going to have to handle without them (inflatable + 2 sheet closed cell z-lite for sweat issue relief doesn't do as good a job). I figure this 10lb base weight (including bear can) + the 12lb of food will be rough without them.

Personal choice not to take a camera. I might swap my book to an audiobook on the ipod nano. I think that makes it multi-use for pictures/video and would actually be lighter funny enough. I just don't like the idea of distraction while hiking, but realize I wouldn't NEED to keep it on, I'd just be tempted till the battery ran out. Hell I could use the sound recorder for a journal maybe, but I think I'd prefer writing.

Debating ditching the pot grabber and using my socks or something, but worry I might botch it and burn myself or spill some food.

Happy with my headlamp.

I am debating leaving the journal at home and using the paper in the book I'm taking, hah.

I am concerned (because I don't know much about it) that I might really want trekking poles for the unusually high snow year stream crossings. I know a lot of people like trekking poles, I just don't. My plan for my shelter is to find sticks (and drag them above treeline when I need to camp there), maybe I can for stream crossings too. Honestly I'm planning on just using my bivy without the tarp most nights.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hey Michael,

I wasn't able to look at your list so I'll only comment on what you wrote. I'm doing the JMT right around the same time (8/4-20) but heading northbound. Maybe we will cross paths.

Where are you resupplying? 12 lbs of food just doesn't sound like enough. I know you're trying to minimize weight since you've got less time to finish the trail but I wouldn't skimp on food. Just my thoughts though.

I never use trekking poles but after getting advice from some BPL members along with other backpacking friends I've decided to bring some. Mostly because of the high stream crossings and snow sticking around so late this year. Finding suitable sticks before each crossing might not be so easy. Plus, I can use them for part of my shelter which sounds like is the case for you too.

I agonized over this decision cause like you I'd gotten my base weight down to about 10.5 lbs and I hated the thought of adding anything. But I figured that it would be a lot more of a bummer to have to turn back cause I didn't feel safe crossing a particular river or snow field or
    whatever. Then again, I think something like that is a personal decision.

Here's a link with snow and river crossing updates.
    http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

Either way, have a lot of fun!

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Thanks for the comments Erik,

My food: I'm resupplying first at Tuolumne (to avoid hiking everything up the initial hump), then at the Muir Trail Ranch (mid-way). My food is 125 kcal/ounce, so 12 pounds is 24000 calories, or roughly 3400 for that last food drop. I think it's substantial enough, but, time will tell I suppose. It's 1.7 pounds per day. I might bump to 1.8, but I don't want to go much higher than that. I might ship myself more than I expect to need and food bin it if I think it makes sense, thanks.

Thanks for the pole suggestion. I was hoping to get some opinions on this before shelling out the cash for a fancy carbon fiber set or something. I might just drag along my black diamond 17oz pair poles. The thought of it kind of makes me shudder though. Maybe just take the one?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Excellent!

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

But I can't leave it at that, right ;)

Add two small plastic bags, loaf of bread size, almost weightless, and here is why:

This year there will be lots of walking through water: river crossings, creeks, flooded trails, just tons of water everywhere. You have no water crossing shoes listed so I assume you are just going to plow through it all with your trail runners – good plan. In the evening you'll take off those wet shoes, wash out your muddy socks, dry off your feet with your buff, put on your clean dry sleep socks and be happy. Now when you inevitably need to put your shoes back on to take a walk around camp you will not want to put those SLOPPY WET shoes back on! So you put your dry sock clad feet into the plastic bags before you slip into those shoes and you'll be fine and your socks will stay dry.
    Personally I'd bring a third pair of socks as well, two pairs to wear hiking (one pair drying on my pack, one pair on my feet, and the third pair reserved for sleeping), but hey that's just me.

Bring a real compass!
    Your zero point something ounce compass doesn't count. Bring something you can navigate with! The JMT is very well marked and you probably will never use it. BUT this is an exceptionally high snow year, you could loose the trail and then you need a real compass and a map and the knowledge to use them to get back on track.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I was able to look at your list and I had a couple small ideas.

1. I use a 20 oz smart water bottle and it weighs (after taking off the label and the little ring on the top) just under an ounce. It might not be as strong but you could always use your two liter bladder as a backup. I plan on including another one in my resupply bucket just in case.

2. TP-I'd bring some. I can bring about 1.5 oz and it will last me 10 days. If you do it right (dig 8" down, burn your paper and stir) it won't be noticeable. I know a lot of people feel differently about this then I do though.

3. Maps-I copied my maps and made them double sided with about 1/2" margins, allowing me to write notes on the edges etc. They're not "water proof" anymore but they weigh about half as much and I plan on keeping them in a ziploc bag anyways.

4. Batteries-change them out before you leave and put some in your resupply bucket. Then you won't need the extras in your pack.

5. Book-I'm putting mine on my Nano as an audiobook. If you're worried about being distracted while on the trail just listen when you're in your sleeping bag. That should save you several ounces at least.

6. Poles-I think bringing one would be a good idea.

I know a lot of these things are very small indeed but I suppose that's what we're all on here for. Your list looks really good.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

What?!?!? Did Erik actually "advocate" taking toilet paper?

Sorry, but I gotta chime in here. You'll be traveling in the mountains in a high snow year. This means you will have a stupendously clean butt, quite certainly far cleaner than the population of toilet paper users.

There is a simple technique (that I advocate and teach with great success) where the weight of toilet paper you carry in the field can log in at a very tidy ZERO.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"There is a simple technique (that I advocate and teach with great success) where the weight of toilet paper you carry in the field can log in at a very tidy ZERO."

Sure, zero weight, but a complete waste of time and effort.

Mike, I am sure you know that I (and some others) look at your needlessly complicated and time consuming "TP substitution" efforts with outright disdain — same as you do toward people who use actual TP. Something as subjective (and emotional) as TP — I would say "live and let live". I like Erik's approach — state your preference, with a recognition that it isn't for everyone.

I used to feel very strongly about preaching the superiority of my method — but have realized that it will always turn off some people. Ditto with yours.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

TP: For now I'll say me not taking it is personal preference. I hate TP, it rubs me wrong if you catch my drift. I think it was Will.I.am. that said it like this: try rubbing some chocolate in between the tiles on your bathroom floor. Try to get it out with toilet paper. Do it again, but this time use a wet wipe.

Kristin I'm adding those bags per your recommendation. Thank you! I do however like my compass and don't end up enjoying the extra plastic.

Erik I like my water bottle but have tried that one. Good idea with the batteries and Nano. I'm still very crossed on the poles but I'm working on it. I might just bring one of the BD ergo corks I already have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools