Topic

Lightest scissors?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest scissors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

What are the lightest scissors without a knife for airline carry-on? Worst case I guess I can bust the blade off an old Classic SAK.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Replacement scissors for a SwissCard might work, then you wouldn't have to tear up a functional knife…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The smallest, lightest scissors I know of are those teeny tiny ones that come with some of the cheap sewing kit for travel use. Even the meanest TSA officer won't give you any hassles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had some of those folding plastic scissors, and a TSA inspector in Miami grabbed them. That was even before 9/11.

–B.G.–

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Bob,

The TSA was formed in 2002. Same brown shirt, but it must have been of another agency.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Prior to 9-11, scissors were not an issue. In fact, it's been re-allowed as carry on since about 3-4 years ago.

In any case, the teeny tiny scissors I was talking about measure maybe 2 inches total. They are not foldable, no need.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Hey Michael. I too have been stuck in a jam when I couldn't cut rope beyond security. I needed to lash some things to a pack for a long walk to the other terminal.
    This guy shows a good way to cut rope without a cutting tool, just using the friction of your boots.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShghbDZMlo
    I know this doesn't answer your original question, but could solve some problems that you might run in to without scissors.
    Honestly, you are going to be very iffy getting beyond security unless it is almost completely plastic with just s small, thin amount of metal.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Prior to 9-11, scissors were not an issue."

Well, then, some airline security guy took my folding scissors from me at the Miami airport prior to 9/11. I still remember that he said, "It has a cutting edge." Of course the plastic was so dull that you could jam it into your hand, and it wouldn't break the skin or even hurt.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Per official TSA guideline, "scissors – metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches" are allowed both as carried on and in checked baggage.

Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed — and agents are allowed to use their discretion. But really, I wouldn't sweat it. I would expect basically no problems with bringing a 4" or less pair of scissors. And really, what's the consequence of a moody agent confiscating my scissors? I buy another one at the destination airport, Wally World or supermarket.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I'm sure that the airline security rules that change so often really keep those terrorists on their toes.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a pair of folding scissors and the TSA has not bothered me yet. And I travel a lot. But the TSA is not consistent at all airports on everything.

Like Ben says, if they get taken away it is not the end of the world.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I used to travel to the East Coast a lot for business, and I used the scissors on my job. When they were taken away from me, there was no convenient place to purchase more. Like Nick said, not consistent.

–B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Not the end of the world for sure. My goal is to take free bus from airport to town for fuel and then very cheap bus to trailhead. Should be on the trail in < 2 hours from landing. Drugstore may have something I could pick up if needed.

Someone said they carried on their poles in a tube last Oct from 2 major airports. Might try that and take along a real tent pole just in case. Mine are the cheap Walmart ones so I can replace them for just over the cost of checked bag fee.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've been using the replacement scissors from a swisscard after retiring my SAK classic, they work pretty well and are light

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools