Topic

Gear List for Tahoe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List for Tahoe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

This will be my gear list for doing the Tahoe Rim Trail in August and this is what i will be bringing. I haven't figured out the food situation yet but am hopefully shooting for around 1.6 pounds a day. Not sure about bringing a bug net (I will be treating my clothes with permethrin) any thoughts on a bug net? Anyways pick apart anything i missed/forgot!

Here it is:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?
    hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqcnPnSuEMa_dDdvUTYwOXowZUNFZGVDTVRkTVlRQlE&output=html

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Am I doing something wrong? When I get to that link, then click, it brings me back here. ?
    Duane

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Huh, Yeah Duane I am not sure what is wrong for you but it works for me… Are you just copying the link and pasting it?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Yes.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Ok:

So why do you have both a ccf pad and a siting pad? Why not just use the ridgeline as a sitting pad? Or don't use a pad to sit on.

Instead of using an 8 oz nalgene water bottle for your alcohol,why not use a .5l water bottle (the thin plastic ones.) with a hot sauce cap on top (check out the sriracha lids)?

Other then that the list looks great. Have a great trip and Happy Trails!

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Hey Jace,
    I like to have a sitting pad plus a ridgerest for a couple of reasons.
    1. my ridgerest is a 3/4 pad and sleeping over my backpack is not as comfy for my legs than it is on a sitting pad.
    2. My ridgerest is normally in my backpack folded up for my pack so on breaks i can quickly pull out my sitting pad for breaks.

On the 8oz nalgene bottle i can try another holder, can you clarify what bottle you are talking about that is compatible with a sriacha lid? thanks

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Sounds good.

As far as I know the sriracha lids should fit on a standard water bottle.

e.g.

http://www.globalpackagegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=44491&g2_serialNumber=2

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I live here and am on the trail most every weekend. In fact I will be on the trail and the pct the first three weeks of aug.

If you need any info yell

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Hey Mark,
    Thanks for the offer and the help. We will be doing the TRT hike from aug 9-21, do you think mosquitoes will be a problem in some parts? How do you think water level/availability will be. I read that August is when the normal seasonal streams and water sources dry out but since we had this big winter this year i figure this august may be similar to a normal July.

Daniel Paladino
    BPL Member

@dtpaladino

Locale: Northern Rockies

Bring a net! Especially this year, the mosquitoes up here are nasty. There is still A LOT of snow that has yet to melt.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Hey Daniel,
    Do you think that trail visibility will be an issue with the snow?

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

The rim is an odd place.

Water around the western side will be plentiful still. Sections such as tahoe city to brockway, and spooner summit to stagecoach are drying up.

I suspect by that time there will be NO water from spooner to stagecoach.

Not sure what direction you are going to go, but most other sections there is plenty of water.

Some odd things to note, is the section from spooner to tahoe meadows is mostly through a state park and "technically" there is no camping any place but in marlette peak campground. There is a well there, so theres water.

Other water sources or camping spots along that section are down near marlette lake and thats a steep decent assent. There are a few off trail water sources such as heading down tword hobart resivor about .75 miles and there is a creek there.

I will actually be on the trail then, so you may run into us.

Oh and yes, skeeters are going to be out in full force. I was up on donner pass friday and I stepped off the trail into a wooded section to look for a place to hide a food cache and about 52K skeeters jumped me.

Its still tons of snow along the western side and I suspect will be snow even when you come. I would expect about 20% of the trail will still be snow covered your first week (guessing here).

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

just read your other post regarding snow.

yeah if you are not extremely comfortable with map navigation, I would bring a gps with a rim trail track (which most of garmin stock maps DO NOT HAVE. It may have sections, but much of the trail doesnt show up on my garmin or my buddies (heck I forget the brand but id doesnt show up on his either).

Not to sound scary, as tons of folks are going through desolation right now, so you can do it, but its snow covered.

I was on relay peak last weekend and then it was completely snowed in for the last 2 miles up the climb (from tahoe meadows)

Huge sun cups and snow lake was about 50% melted.

I saw pics of aloha lake (other side of the rim) taken last week and it was about 75% snow covered it seemed to me.

Dicks pass is still covered as well. Thats a climb from echo…if I remember correctly thats about a 4K climb if leaving echo and going out of bayview (not on the trail but the easiest way to bail for a 20 mile day).

One final note if you do short mileage days, you are going to have to carry some water in sections…best to be able to do at least 15 per day to stay near water most nights.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools