Topic

Wrangell St. Elias During Early Sept. Suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Wrangell St. Elias During Early Sept. Suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Ray
    BPL Member

@danman4142

I am currently working on planning a 4night fly in trip to Wrangell St. Elias for early September for myself and 5 other people. We're all in pretty good hiking shape, experienced backpackers, and dont have a problem with hiking long days. I live in Anchorage and do a lot of hiking in the area, so i'm familiar with hiking in Alaska in general. However, WSE is a HUGE park, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with trying to pick a spot for us to go. Right now i'm leaning towards the northern or western area of the park, as we'd prefer to fly in out of Glennallen or Slana to avoid the drive down the McCarthy road (friends will be in a rental car).

Some of the flight operators have trips listed on their websites, but I like the idea of making our "own" trip. I've been to the park once before, driving in down the Nabesna road and hiking in the Skookum volcano area. I also have a guidebook on the park with all kinds of trips and suggestion, so i've got all the info at my fingertips. Anyone who's been there a few times have recommendations for a "must do" area? I know it's hard to go wrong in such a beautiful place, but i'm looking for all I can get!!

Thanks.

-Daniel

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools