Topic

Collapsible trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Collapsible trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I realize that one-piece poles are sturdy. But collapsible poles can be stuffed into a pack until you need them. I also have adjustable X-C ski poles, but they will adjust only so far.

What is a good (single) collapsible trekking pole? I'm looking for something that will fit into 18 inches or so. Ideally, it would have a snow basket on it, although I have a spare basket that I might try to apply.

The snow pack in the Sierra Nevada doesn't seem to want to give up without a fight.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bob,

These might be worth checking out, if I understand what you're looking for correctly.

Black Diamond Ultra Distance Collapsible Z-Poles

These are carbon fiber, collapse down around 14-16in. depending on the length you go with.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

That looks pretty close.

REI has a pair for $150.

I had in mind something more like one for $50.

–B.G.–

Steve Walsh

@brazossticks

Locale: South

If you like wood, Brazos Walking Sticks has a wooden sectional stick called the Traveler's Stick:
    http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/products/Travelers-Walking-Stick.html

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Brazos Walking Sticks

Far too long, and no facility for a snow basket.

–B.G.–

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

C.A.M.P poles only come in 120cm length but come as a single and are 32cm long (13inches)

Han Chang

@guidesmith

If you're able to go up to $70, the REI Traverse is a single pole that looks like a solid choice with rave reviews:
    http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/products/reviews/Traverse/REI

The cheapest one I know of is another REI pole, the Hiker Staff but there's no reviews:
    http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/products/reviews/Hiker-Shock-Light-Staff/REI

Unfortunately I don't know of anything that will fold down to 18 inches, most poles collapse to 20 inches or more.

Hope that helps!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Instead of continuing to look for the very best solution, today I purchased the cheapest solution at Wally World. It's an Outdoor Products pole that collapses down to only 24 inches. Cost $12.88.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Bob,

"Instead of continuing to look for the very best solution, today I purchased the cheapest solution at Wally World. It's an Outdoor Products pole that collapses down to only 24 inches. Cost $12.88."

I am currently using a pair of the WalMart / Outdoor Products poles. But I keep looking longingly at the CAMP Xenon 4's.

The price is $69.95, weight per pair is 120cm / 9.9oz and 135cm / 10.6oz and if I did my math correctly they break down to 12.6" & 14.2" respectively.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/trekking-poles/xenon-4-1914.asp

And they have snow baskets.

My current Wally World / Outdoor Products poles work so well I just can't seem to justify the extra $44.00 and change. :-?

Party On,

Newton

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Black Diamond Distance poles. These are the aluminum version but still quite light — 12.3oz for the pair of 120cm. On sale at SunnySports.com for $70.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandItemDisplay&BrandName=Black Diamond&ProductID=BKDD&Sort=Stock&DescSort=0&Filter=2200%3d2232

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I know this one is not cheap but cannot wait for it to come out soon. I find travelling with 2 piece poles super annoying and have been waiting for a break apart pole that is adjustable. Hopefully it turns out ok.

http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/touring/special/194_2303_10.php

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Take a look at fizan trekking poles.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Bob, I bought a pair of the outdoor products fliplock poles and replaced the grips with eva foam ones (like tigoat poles) — cut the weight down ~ 2.5 – 3 oz per pole — cost another 5 bucks or so to just under 7oz per pole. If you bought the twist lock ones yours could probably come in a little lighter.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm a big fan of some Helinox poles (distributed by Big Agnes). Under 10oz for the 120cm model, and under 12oz for the 135cm model. They're also aluminum – the lightest aluminum adjustable poles on the market. I have the 120cm model.

Breakdown poles don't interest me, as they don't store well on the outside of the pack, nor can you adjust the size. I like to have 120cm for downhill, 110cm for uphill and 90-95cm for steep climbs (30+ degrees). I usually run 115cm over variable (up-and-down) terrain.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools