Topic

First SUL Backpacking Trip!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion First SUL Backpacking Trip!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I took my first SUL backpacking trip this week. It was a ~30 mile trip in the San Gorgonio Wilderness of Southern California. My baseweight was 3.67 pounds:

http://jacemullen.com/2011/07/15/san-gorgonio-solo-sul/

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Jace,
    Before I ask too many questions, the link would not open.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Aaron,

The link in his post to the blog worked. There is a GearGram link at the beginning of the blog that does not work, but it works further down in the article.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Fixed that. Thanks gentlemen, I'm still working out the kinks.

-Jace

Jon Franklin

@junto01

Nice blog Jace. I was a scout the last time I was at dry lake, it would be great to go back again, your trip report has given me some motivation to do that again. I'm guessing it didn't get much cooler than mid 50's? Please give a thorough report of how your flash jacket/Epiphany Quilt combo performs when it's challenged a bit more by some cooler temps. Did you have any condensation problems at all with the quilt?

Good luck with the Eagle review!

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

Nice trip report

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Jon, you are correct, maybe dipping into the 40s.

The quilt was actually too warm, I ended up flipping it off of my torso and having it cover my legs while I wore my flash jacket (too cold without it) for most of the night. I did experience a little bit of condensation near my mouth, but that was it. I will be sure to write a post about the quilt once I get to test it somemore.

Thanks everybody, I am going to try to keep writing some stuff about gear and continue with the TRs.

-Jace

tommy d

@vinovampire

Jace – Nice blog and trip report. I like that website you used for your trip and that little folding razor. I'll have to look for one of those.

Also, it looks like a fun trip! I'll have to get out to CA sometime this year.

best,
    v

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Thanks for the report, Jace. I'm headed to San Gorgonio in August, so this is very timely.

SoCal Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools