Topic

Shoulder Gaiters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Shoulder Gaiters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kirsten Roos
    BPL Member

@kirstenr

Locale: Anchorage

So I'm hiking along in the drizzle and notice that its really mainly my shoulders that are getting wet (wearing a precip ballcap). I'm just wearing a wool tee since I'm hill climbing and don't want get all sweaty in my rain jacket. But this is a typical chilly Alaskan summer and I will be throwing on layers as soon as I stop. Getting the tee dry again will be challenging.

And I start to think.. hmm… I need to invent some shoulder gaiters. Just a flap some how attached that sheds a bit of rain. It wouldn't work if the rain was blowing sideways.. but for this day it would have been perfect… especially if they served some other purpose while not being used.

hmm…any thoughts? Crazy and useless? Already exists?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Could just make a mini-poncho without a hood and call it a cape, since you are wearing a waterproof hat.

ADD: Of course my seldom used Marmot Mica only weighs a tad over 6 oz., so there's some pretty light alternatives, even from big companies like Marmot and TNF (their Triumph)

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

Can the mini Poncho one step further. by cutting off the front half and leaving the back as a cape. This way you can use it as a pack cover as well if needed while still getting the ventilation you want in the front. All you would have to do is add a pair of tie offs or something to it to keep it against the pack while moving.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Sounds like a d***ey, but with more shoulder coverage and maybe a hood?

http://www.dakotamainstreet.com/d***iepage.html

missing letters "ick"

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Anna, I'm starting to think you might be all knowing, all powerful, or just all willing to research and reply. =)

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Others answers.

Bike Cape – not as big as a poncho yet covers pack, front and shoulders.

Birch Bark shoulder pads.

Kirsten Roos
    BPL Member

@kirstenr

Locale: Anchorage

Very cool ideas!
    Anna – I'd never seen that OR pack hoody before. When my wallet recovers from going lightweight this summer I'll take another look at that.

The modified mini Poncho/cape/d**cky ideas sound very interesting. I think I need to sacrifice some trash bags to explore those concepts.
    Thanks for all the great input!

EDIT:
    Oh.. and I've never heard of a bike cape.. but will check that out. And the Birch Bark…perfect Alaskan attire!! Nice!

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

One issue with rainwear: water needs to have a clear path to the ground. Me, I don't bring rain pants/skirts/chaps at all most of the time, and when it rains I'm satisfied with a dry upper core and very soaked upper legs. When I do wear rain pants, my shoes get soaked. I presume that's what gaiters might slightly mitigate.

Ever wear a rain jacket and jeans around town in the rain? The wettest part of one's body (IME) is right where the jacket ends, even more so than the lower legs.

Anyway, I think that if you just have fabric on your shoulders, the runoff from your shoulders might soak your upper torso even more. My 2 cents.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Has anyone tried putting a gutter into a piece of raingear? A creative hem, sewn on a slight diagonal, and tacked down at intervals rather than sewn along its length, might work as a gutter, I think. A clever way would have to be devised to drain the water away at the low points on the hem. A little outward-pointing tube, maybe? Anyone else attempted anything like this?

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Honestly I think the rain skirt/poncho/umbrella/cagoule people may have this right, as seems to limit contact with the legs and doesn't drip all the water onto the feet (only some of it). But then, I only have experience with a poncho, from many years ago.

I do recall seeing many first efforts by Scouts and especially adult leaders in tarp-pitching, enough to recognize that water is surprisingly easy to collect in a gutter, albeit by accident. The problem, as you stated, is in getting rid of it without a catastrophic spill over the edge (in this case, off a jacket and onto one's crotch). Again, I think oversized rain gear may be a simpler fix.

Or a waterproof hoop skirt? ;)

Edited to give credit to those smart umbrella folks. I imagine some of them may come across this thread and think, "that's why I use an umbrella."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools