Topic

Marble Mountains Wilderness, any one been this year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Marble Mountains Wilderness, any one been this year?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

After speaking with a ranger in Stanislaus NF and reading a recent trip report about the Emigrant Wilderness it appears that snow ard river/creek conditions are forcing me to bail on a planned trip for the end of this month. So I have turned my attention the Marble Mountains in NW CA. Has anyone been up there this year? I'm planning to head in from Lovers Camp and explore as much area as possible for a week. I have been to this area in the past but I came in from the north. Anyone been to Ukonom, Granite Lakes, Cuddihy Lakes? Any info or reccomendations would be much appreciated.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

I was there last week for 3 nights. I started from the Boulder TH accessed from the canyon creek/lover's camp road. Expect patchy snow above 6500 ft with large drifts starting about 7k feet. The lakes I visited were melted out (lower Wright and Deep). Wildflowers all over the place and generally great conditions. You would generally use one of the western access points to hit Ukonom, Granite, or Cuddihy Lakes.

You could probably get to them from the Marble Valley area right now, but expect a lot of snow once you get up near the PCT. Lots you could do with a week up there.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Thanks Justin! Just the info I was looking for. I figure we'll run into some snow and I'm just hoping that we can make it past the PCT, but its good to know that the lakes you visited were clear of ice. I have not been to Sky High Lakes and that is the main reason for coming in from the southeast and with having so much time I figure it is worth while to hike deeper into the Marbles. How is the road coming in?

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

The Lover's camp road is paved from the Scott river road and in great shape to the Lover's camp TH. The side roads to the other THs off the lover's camp road aren't paved but should definitely be passable with a typical passenger car.

You might call the Klamath National Forest, there were some temporary closures of the road for pavement work – an alternate route coming up from the Kelsey Creek area was specified to get to Lover's camp though I was there outside of the work schedule and took the primary route. The work is probably over, but it's worth giving a call to make sure it'll be clear for you.

I imagine you will be able to cross the PCT to get over to the western side lakes without too much trouble, but definitely some large snow drifts and route finding.

The Sky High lakes are very nice, but the deeper lakes you're looking at are definitely worth the effort for their abundant solitude. I expect the majority of the lakes would be snow free, save for the few that are over 7k feet… even those have to be getting close by now with much water exposed.

You'll definitely have a blast! One of my favorite places.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

I really appreciate all the info. I did call the ranger station and they said the same thing you did about the roads and general conditions up there. We are going to try to make it up to Ukonom and then explore the surrounding lake basins with side trips to spirit lake and sky high lakes on the way back. Can't wait, its going to be a great trip. I'll post a trip report when I return.

Matt Witt

@mattwitt

I have the same question that Arn asked last year — whether anyone has been recently from Lovers Camp to Ukonom, Granite Lakes, Cuddihy Lakes and that area?

Wondering about 1) mosquitos, 2) snow, and 3) solitude?

Going somewhere in the Marbles from Aug 4 to Aug 7. Besides recent experiences, I welcome any suggestions of other high lakes worth checking out.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools