Topic

Strawberry Junction/San Jacinto area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Strawberry Junction/San Jacinto area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Has anyone been up to the Strawberry Junction camping area in San Jacinto lately? I was wondering if there is water at Strawberry Junction–sometimes there is; sometimes not. I'm going up in a couple of weeks and don't want to pack a bunch of water if I can avoid it. I have put a call into the Ranger station and am awaiting a reply, but thought I'd check here, too.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I went maybe two weekends ago and there was water all over the place including strawberry junction. I went down from the peak via PCT then deer springs. I carried a gator bottle of water and refilled very often, it was heavenly. There are definitely flies everywhere, but not too much to burden so long as you don't mind hanging your head down when you take a break.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Thanks, Michael! I've heard Strawberry Junction was drying up fast but lots of water surrounding the area. We're doing the Deer Springs Trail from Idylwild, about 4.5 miles to the campsite. I'm not familiar with this area and will have to consult a map. Thanks for the tip on the flies, too. I'll be bringing my headnet.

Mike

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I'd say worst case you could always bring an empty pack with water bottles and mule some from north up the PCT a mile or two (it's an easier option than bringing it up from your car!). I definitely recall water on the path I took, but I breezed past the junction so I can't comment on that specific spot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools