Topic

Big Sky Evolution 2p or TarpTent Scarp 2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky Evolution 2p or TarpTent Scarp 2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tiana G.

@intheend

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and new to backpacking so I've been doing some much reading and researching on these forums. It seems like a lot of people are fans of the TarpTents and I wanted some feedback if I should go that route since the TarpTent weighs more than the Evolution. Weight is an important issue for me since I will be backpacking with my partner and we're both women. With that being said though, I'm all about compromise and if you fine people think we'd be better off with a TarpTent, then that's what I'd invest in.

Thanks for reading this far.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Evolution is great if you can wait 1.5 years and maybe or maybe not get your tent. Scarp is instant gratification.

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW

It seems that if you want the shelter ASAP, go with the Tarptent. If you can wait six months, go with the Evolution.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Unless you're looking for a winter tent, I'd look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow instead of the Scarp 2.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Before I joined BPL and found out about the extended wait times I bought a Big Sky Evo 2P. It is possible to circumvent the wait times by buying one directly from a brick and mortar type store that actually has one in stock. I found one in a store in Colorado and they shipped it no problem. It is unfortunate (to say the least) to hear about the bad business practices at Big Sky.

That aside, if you like having two doors and two vestibules the B.S. is great. My wife and I like having our own entry/exit for late night pee breaks etc. Easy setup and in the summer we just use it as a net tent and sleep under the stars without the rain fly. It is the lightest free standing two person/two door/two vestibule tent.

If I could do it again I would just get a GG Squal Classic at 1.5 lbs.

Just my 2c. Good luck!

Will Webster

@willweb

"If I could do it again I would just get a GG Squal Classic at 1.5 lbs. "

Maybe I'm the only one here who doesn't know what that is, but I couldn't find a shelter on either Gossamer Gear or Granite Gear's websites with a name anything like that. I'd love to find a bug-proof shelter to share with my wife, that's appreciably lighter than our BA Fly Creek 2 (45 oz including factory groundsheet).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tiana G.

@intheend

Thanks for all the responses! I'm totally leaning towards a TarpTent but I couldn't find a Squall Classic either? I'm not picky about having two doors or anything other than room to sit up, that's my one non-negotiable.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Sorry about that, it was available back when I was researching for tents. GG stopped carrying the Squal Classic due to some problems with the spinaker material. Another very light 2 person double wall tent option is the MLD Duo Mid with the InnerNet. It is 4.5 ft tall in the middle, 25 ozs total and fits two people. The Haven Tarp and NetTent by SMD is a 32 oz double wall two person shelter. So many options. . .

Here's a few links:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=47

http://sixmoondesigns.com/index.php?start=5

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

Hi Tiana,

A TarpTent Double Rainbow works for us 2 grrls – two doors, good situp room, reasonable weight, airy. Squall Classic is a lighter option if we're weight conscious (OK I've had it for a while!). Another TarpTent that's a similar weight to the Double Rainbow but has an amazing amount of room for 2 is the Rainshadow 2. I guess you need to think about your specific requirements/preferences (my GF likes 2 doors) and also regions where you'll be using the tent e.g. The Rainshadow has a much bigger "footprint" than the Double Rainbow.

I'm also keen to experiment with a Trailstar tarp and BearPaw Pentanet mozzie net.

Good luck with your tent hunting!

KK

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

"Maybe I'm the only one here who doesn't know what that is, but I couldn't find a shelter on either Gossamer Gear or Granite Gear's websites with a name anything like that. I'd love to find a bug-proof shelter to share with my wife, that's appreciably lighter than our BA Fly Creek 2 (45 oz including factory groundsheet)."

six moon designs lunar duo
    six moon designs haven combo
    tarptent Double Rainbow
    Lightheart gear duo

to name a few

Really want to go light then there is the zpacks hexamid duo tent

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools