Topic

Current Inyo/SEKI Bearcan/Bag Requirements

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Current Inyo/SEKI Bearcan/Bag Requirements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I'd ask in a Sierra forum as this forum gets too many Sierra questions as it is, but I get better answers on BPL :)

Can anyone comment as to the current practicality of carrying an ursack or bear bag from about Reds to Kearsarge? Specifically, I know that Dusy (should I make the side trip) and Rae both require an approved canister and the Ursack (even the newest model) isn't one of them. Everywhere else that I'm going only requires hanging at the minimum.

I've been looking for bear box info for these areas and haven't found much. Does Rae have bear boxes? Is this a workable solution or a real hassle? How about the Dusy area? Is there something on the trail towards Bishop that I could leave most of my food during the day, and save enough to eat for the night in Dusy?

Yours in Canisterlessness,

Chris

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

This might be helpful to you or others: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_box.htm

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I'm the lead moderator of the JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group, we get this question often. We have retired rangers on the board. It's a risk to do what you want to do. You could be asked to leave the trail. Perhaps if you can prove you can make it to a bearbox location each night to camp you might get away with it. Your risk is greatest in the National Park areas (such as Kings Canyon). The difference in weight between an Ursack with the aluminum wrap v. the Bearikade Weekender is near zero too. You can rent a Bearikade for a JMT thru hike too (from Wild-Ideas.net) for $55 last time I heard (plus shipping).

The requirement I found states you have to carry one in these areas:

Canister Requirement Areas – Dusy & Palisades Basins
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/65cjp7v

Another link:
    Where are Bear Canisters Required?
    http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thank you RM. There are bear boxes at Rae Lakes, at least a few at the southern lake. Also, one you may have to hunt for, it is placed pretty good.:)

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Cool, thanks. I forgot to check the JMT list!

So I've looked at the SEKI pages, but they didn't specify as to locations or quantities, other than that, at one point, there were boxes at Rae.

So you really think a ranger at the edge of the Rae can zone would hassle you about getting to one of the Rae bear boxes? Sheesh!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a web site at Climber.Org that might help. There is one page within it that has a listing of all of the known bear boxes around there with precise GPS locations.

There is one ranger's tent cabin right at Rae Lakes. Then there are others north and south from there. These backcountry "patrol cabins" are not staffed all of the time.

Of course, it would be my luck that the first time I did something against regulations there, the ranger would be watching.

It is just a whole lot more practical to carry a bear canister.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools