Topic

What is pertex quantum?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What is pertex quantum?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I notice some of the commercially available sleeping bags shell's are made of this stuff. What are the specs? How's it compare to M50 or M90 in weight, water repellency, durability, etc? Why do our standard MYOG material vendors not stock the stuff?

Thanks,
    BM

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Well, I found an answer to one of my questions- On the marmot site they list it at 0.8oz/sq-yd…

BM

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It may be a little out-of-date. The sleeping bags for sale now might be leftover from the past.

I purchased some Pertex Quantum several years ago and made some stuff out of it. Then it ceased to be sold. Like lots of fabrics of its type, it is not perfectly waterproof, nor infinitely breathable.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think it used to be 0.9 oz/yd2, then they came out with a new version about a year ago that's 0.8 oz/yd2

I got some from BPL – the 0.9 oz/yd2 version – water resistant, fairly breathable, easy enough to sew

But that was a one off, don't know if you can get it anywhere – maybe Penine in U.K. – I bought some Pertex Endurance from them a few years ago

I'de just get the 0.9 oz stuff from thru-hiker or owfinc.com

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

But Intrepid (from Ti Goat)and M90 (from Thru-Hiker) have unfinished weights of 0.9 oz/yd² but after the DWR finish is applied the fabric weights rise to 1.05 oz/yd².

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Are the pertex weights listed "finished"? Doubtful, they rarely are in marketing literature. Intrepid and M90 have finished weights around 1.05, but it varies by batch and color by a bit. Lightest I've seen was the gray that came in around 1.00 as I recall. All fabrics have some variance by run. The new SevenD fabric is actually 0.65 finished weight.

My experience with Pertex Quantum has only been in finished products, but personally, from what I've seen of it's downproofness and dwr have been less than impressive. From my experience, Intrepid and Momentum blow that stuff out of the water.

Honestly, the SevenD and M50 (I haven't tried M55) still seem superior, with M50's downproofness being around the same as pertex, i.e. a bit leaky, but totally functional.

Pertex is just one of those names, it's been hyped up and proliferated so heavily due to it's industry adoption, you can't help but think it's the best fabric out there. In reality, it's likely just the best "resource" for a large company that was looking for some really light, off the warehouse shelf fabric a few years ago, that it didn't have to get custom milled. YMMV, but I wouldn't waste my time with so many other options available to the MYOG community now.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Finished weights of Quantum vary a little and end up around 1 oz.
    Just like Intrepid, Momentum 90 etc.

I haven't tried a lighter version.

Batch to batch, and ripstop vs taffeta, performance varies a little bit too.

Ripstop has higher tear strength, taffeta higher hydrostatic head.

Japanese milled all.

Pertex only sells to a suppliers that sell finished products and doesn't allow sales of fabric.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

You might be interested this page at Pertex's website on fabrics.

http://www.pertex.com/

If it doesn't go to the fabrics page click on the fabrics link at the top

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

thanks for the info- answered my questions…

I don't really have any intentions to buy the stuff for any myog projects. I was just curious how these commercial products compared to the materials available to the myog community.

BM

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Both the Quantum and the Intrepid I have bought, tho sourced from different places,
    appeared to be made, or at least finished in the same mill according to packing slips.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

So do they appear to be about the same? in breathability and water resistance?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools