Topic

Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 3 – Packs for UltraLight Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Frameless Backpacks State of the Market Report 2011: Part 3 – Packs for UltraLight Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Brian Russo

@bigbluehi

I purchased the GG Gorilla based heavily off this review and other research but am planning to return it,

Overall it seems great, but the shoulder straps are incredibly flawed and uncomfortable. They literally cut into your neck. They are far too wide, lack a J shape that pulls them out to the sides around the neck, and the Velcro is on the inside (inexplicably) and extremely abrasive. Maybe they work well for individuals with extremely thin necks, but for people such as myself with broad shoulders and necks I recommend you look elsewhere.

Other minor criticism is the stays should connect to the hip pack. Puzzling design decision since the stays reach right next to the hip pack and a simple pocket is all that is needed to pass some load to the hip strap.

Very unfortunate because otherwise it is a great pack. Very impressed by the quality of construction, but an uncomfortable pack is just useless.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i think that many people here purchase packs based more on reviews and other peoples recommendation … you arent the first i believe to have this issue

the most important thing is to have a pack that fits well … weight, price, and features are secondary …

best of luck in yr search for a new pack

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I thought narrower straps were an option on the Gorilla now.

T N
    BPL Member

@tordnado

Locale: Europe

I believe I read somewhere in the SoM that some of the backpacks had an extra long pack torso length, since I´m tall it is an important factor to me but I cant find the info again. Im not talking about S,M,L but the actual length. Anyone remembers where it was?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools