Topic

hitting up eagle creek/lake wahtum near Portland OR on the 20th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips hitting up eagle creek/lake wahtum near Portland OR on the 20th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

anybody know how i can get a good weather report for that area?

im guessing it wont get below 40 at the lower elevations at night?

anyone been lately? thanks in advance!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

What a coincidence; I'm leaving in an hour for that same trip. Three days up EC to WL, then the PCT down to Cascade Locks, and the Gorge trail back to the car at EC. Three days and two nights, just me and my favorite hiking partner……my wife. Temps are predicted to be in the low 70's, lows in the 50's with a 20% chance of rain.

For weather, open MSN.com. In the lower left, see the LOCAL tab – it should show the weather for your location. CHANGE that to Cascade Locks, OR. Look at the 10 day forecast. Right now for the 20th, it shows a high of 82° and a low of 56°. Expect that to change.

We tried the same hike 2 weeks ago. Snow across trail started at 3700' about 1/2 mile below Wahtum Lake. Almost solid snow at the lake. Couldn't find a way up the Wahtum Express to the PCT due to snow under the trees, so retraced our steps. It should be a lot different today.

Stay tuned. I'll give you a report when I return. Also check out the trip reports section on the Portland Hikers Forum http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

thanks! have a great trip!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Adam:

The Eagle Creek Trail #440 is clear of snow; so is Wahtum Lake.

My wife and I went up EC to Wahtum Lake, took the Wahtum Express Trail #406M up to the PCT #2000, then the PCT across the Benson Plateau to Cascade Locks, then the Gorge Trail #400 back to our car at Eagle Creek. That's a 32 mile loop hike; a nice easy 2-1/2 to 3 days.

We saw 2 snow patches way off to one side on the Benson Plateau, but all trails were completely snow free, albeit extremely wet. all but a few streams were running full.

According to the EC CG host, Indian Springs (along PCT south of Wahtum Lake) has also melted out.

Enjoy.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Indian Springs is clear of snow – I camped up there Friday night.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools