Topic

Bug Head Gear Protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug Head Gear Protection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

I am doing the JMT next Month (August) – We are coming in from NZ so not too sure of what to expect re bugs – Will we have a big Mozzie problem this time of the year? Will I need a head net?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

August has less bugs than the rest of the year, but when you camp near water, there will be mosquitoes.

I always carry a head net unless it is below freezing. It only weighs a few grams and you may find other uses for it.
    Even if you only use it once, it will be worth the weight and cost.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

now that BPL has discontinued it's headnet, what's a good option?

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I have the S2S one. It is 0.8oz without the stuff sack and comes in a version pre treated with permethrin.

a b

@ice-axe

I have used the Sea to Summit head net with Insect Shield coating.
    I really don't think the "insect shield" coating thing is worth a crap.
    The head net is awesome though. This one is a simple bag design intended to be pulled over your Tilley or boonie hat.
    I even slept with the thing on sometimes when taking naps and was too lazy to set up my bivy.
    It is generously cut and has a draw string to seal about the neck.
    This particular net also has the best visibilty of any head net i have used.
    Here is a picture of me wearing the Sea to Summit net.. and looking real happy!:Sea to summit headnet on happy hiker

Anyhow, my experience with August in the Sierra nevada mirrors what others have said. Normally August and particularly late Aug and Sept is when the mosquitos abate. though as was mentioned you will have some leftovers, usually huge suckers, wandering around especially near water and at lower altitudes.
    The biggest hazard to wearing a headnet is mealtime. Yes, I am not the only one to attempt to eat a snickers bar through my headnet.
    By the way, a beard not only helps keep the net off your chin, it also catches wayward Frito corn chips that would otherwise be lost to the mice.

I did'nt see that MLD offering!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=66
    Leigh this is about the same price and weight as the regular (not the ul) headnet that BPL sold.

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Thanks Guys – S2S looks like to go – $8.95 at REI (MLD was $25+ for theirs!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools