Topic

FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole — modified to 6.9oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear FLIPLOCK, 3sect, Al walmart pole — modified to 6.9oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm pretty sure they are still cheaper at Walmart. It seemed they were still $14.88 for one flick-lock and $18.88 for a pair of the TWIST-lock version.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Michael – that's what my Walmart has them for too.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Pete,

I was looking around on your blog and noticed that you initially attached your straps from the top with an expansion nut. What was it about that method you didn't like? Also, have you tested out your newer method yet…with the rivets? I bear so much weight on my straps at times I'd be afraid that the rivet would break.

One last question: Do you think the original grips could be reused again after boiling to get them off?

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Hi Rusty,

I haven't tested the rivets yet, but they feel very solid. However, they are aluminum; if they failed I could always get stainless steel rivets to replace them.

I tried the expansion bolts, but never could keep them from wiggling around – they never felt solid. Even tried epoxying them in, but couldn't get them as snug as I wanted.

I threw away the stock grips, but as I recall, I think you could have reused them.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Pete!

Man, wish I could find some contoured, inexpensive and light ergo grips like Gossamer Gear sells. I may make some out of blocks of minicell foam I have. Might be a bit squishy…but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

You're quite welcome. You could potentially "carve" the foam grips with a sharp knife…

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Rusty. The grip is fine. It was glued on. It comes off very easily. It would be great for a camera grip or for a potato gun grip.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Alas, my WM only has the twist-lock ones. anyone care to buy and ship?

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

>How do these compare to the $27 screw lock ones from Costco? Anyone?

Costco pole weights on my kitchen scale:
    Factory spec: 8.1 oz per pole (232g each)
    Long foam handle removed: 7.95oz (226g)
    Mud Basket removed: 7.7oz (218g)
    Wrist strap removed: 7.25oz (205g)

I'm sure an enterprising fellow could remove the plastic/cork/foam grip and replace it with a minimalist-style EVA one for more weight savings, if that was important. A very ambitious person could possibly even remove the unnecessary spring parts of the anti-shock mechanism. I've looked at it, but chickened out before I made any irreversible mods.
    Black Diamond sells not only flicklock CF poles, but replacement flicklocks for $3 each. Just sayin'…

My wild guess would put the poles under 6 oz each if all the above was done.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Thanks Daniel.

I don't know that I am brave enough to buy and modify them with flicklocks either…

:)

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

My local Wally World has about 10 individual poles, split between Green Apple color and an electric blue. They are going for $13.88 each. I picked up a pair since my older REI/Komperdell poles are twist locks and starting to fail. I checked them, without grips/baskets they came in at 6.2oz and with some cheap foam grips would still be respectable. Might tear some of these apart to try to make a reliable set of pole extenders to use with my DuoMid.

I could possibly pick these up and ship if someone really needs them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Wally World poles are OK, but I recommend tightening up the screws before you start out on your first trip.

I have one, and I waited until the pole was immersed in cold water, which caused the parts to contract at different rates, which caused the joints to slip badly. If you tighten the screws in advance, this is not a problem.

–B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

@ Rusty > Commenting on the proper use of pole straps is not "hijacking" the thread. The OP commented that he may attatch straps and posts on WHY they are good are very germaine to this topic.

And from what I see on many trails probably 1/3 of hikers using poles don't know the proper use of straps. It is in those circumstances that pole straps are TRULY extra weight because they are not helping the hikers.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I just checked again and my Walmart has the Flick-locks in green and orange for $13.88 each and the twist locks for $19.97/pair.

Eric PM'd me re: proper strap technique and that is the way I did it when I did try the straps a couple years back. I however did not find that any more comfortable than how I do it now, and I also agree with Skurka that it made it impossible to drop the pole if it got caught in something to keep it from bending/breaking (or throw it at a charging bear – LOL).

With the new grips suggested here, I suspect I would have to go back to straps since they are not contoured, which would require me to have a much firmer hold than I do now. I rely on the flare at the bottom to use a light hold on the pole.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Eric,

Thanks for pointing out my major blunder. Thought I used the term "derailed" though. Oh, I'm such a screw up!!!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Nice project. Here's mine:

I obtained the same poles from my local WM, and decided to make 2 sets of poles with them. They're cheap, and somewhat light, so why not? I also decided to make one pole of each pair into a monopod.

For the foam grips, I ordered the 0.5" ID grips. Since the poles are about 0.6" OD, these fit snugly, without any glue. I just put some dish soap inside the grip, and slid/twisted it on. There was some residual soap that I needed to hose out of the pole, but not too bad. For the monopod, I got a bolt, nut (1/4"-20 thread) and washer, and used gorilla glue to adhere the threaded plate to the inside of the top of the pole, inverted it, and let the glue set.

I tried using one of those expanding rubber nuts, but it didn't secure down well enough for my liking. Also, I had issues with the longevity of using a nylon nut as well.

In the end, it's about 15oz per pair. Not much lighter than other store-bought aluminum poles, but certainly a lot cheaper.

MYO poles 1

MYO Poles 2

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

How has the wear and use been for everyone so far?

I really like these poles. They're collapsible, fairly light, and CHEAP, so I don't mind beating on them – as opposed to my BPL CF Stix. One of my observations is that the tips wore down REALLY fast (like under 100 miles). A little disappointed, but I changed them out for some Leki tips that I got at REI. Have yet to test them out.

Worn tips
    tip-bad

Good tips (BPL CF Stix)
    BPL Stix tip

New tips
    (uploaded later)

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I like the idea of using the trekking pole as a monopod. But I don't like that screw pointed toward my face. Ski pole manufacturers consciously make the top of poles large so if you fall on to them they won't poke your eye. (Like the old joke: give me that BB gun and a glass eye for his brother…)

Joe Medlin
    BPL Member

@kc_joe

Anyone still doing this mod? Picked upa pair from Walmart. Was thinking about doing cork grips. Looking for suggestions on the best place to get them.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I dunno if anyone will find this tip useful, but "back in the day" when I was building bicycles, the hot tip for sliding on a foam handlebar was hairspray. It's slick for the first few seconds, then sets up like contact cement. I have bikes with foam grips that have lasted for 15 years, using the hairspray method, with nary a slip.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Very informative thread. Thank you, OP. Delmar, thanks for the hairspray tip. Just what I was looking for.

But kicking myself. Recently bought a Locus pole, and could have done the mod and come out at the same weight. Maybe lighter with GG grips. Those EVA tube grips might make great extension sleeves for choking the pole, much lighter than heavy rubber cut down golf grips.

Will finish off adding an extension sleeve to the Locus pole, and then do the mod to the Wallies, and see which work better and last longer. So not all is lost. There will always be the backup pole.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The fork handles on fishing poles are made with stacked rings glued in place. They can be shaped with files and sandpaper.

http://www.corkspecialties.net/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0007&keywords=all

Fishing pole parts suppliers carry EVA down grips too

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone tried fitting the GG cork grips to the walmart poles? I noticed its about 1/10" difference – GG Grips are .5" ID the pole is .6" OD…so not sure if cork can easily expand (i.e w/moderate heat from blow dryer, etc)

Thanks for great thread…

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

I bought and modified one of these, seems sturdy.

My final weight was 9.5oz, I used a grip and foam lower grip from another pole, I liked the feel of those grips so didn't bother investing more $$ for weight savings.

The boil-off method of removing the handles saved me so much grief!

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

I really wanted to do this, but I figured the same, you'll poke your eye out!

I cut a flat section on the top to set my backpacking camera (Canon S90) down on, I can reach a finger up to steady the camera to the pole, and use my other hand to operate.

It will give a lot of extra stability with no downside, the thing is already in my hand most of the time. Useful in long-shutter-speed situations with lower light shots.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools