Topic

Packing for the Colorado Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Packing for the Colorado Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Tomorrow my buddy and I leave for Durango to do the southern half of the CT. Here I sit in my study packing food for 20 days. Packing food is THE most time-consuming part of getting ready for a trip (not counting conditioning).

I dread packing food but know I have to do it with care so I'll have enough good eats on the trail. That includes TRYING to do other things for breakfast besides instant oatmeal every morning. I think some mornings I'll just eat one or two energy bars with coffee and other times I'll have freeze-dried scrambled eggs with pre-cooked turkey bacon. Suggestions?

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

In my opinion instant oatmeal is not very nutritious. Regular oatmeal is much better for you. I also bring a variety of healthy, nutrient packed granolas and simply add a spoonful or two of dried milk, add water and then stir. Dried scrambled eggs, cheese, chorizo, dehydrated salsa all wrapped up in a toasted flour tortilla is pretty good too.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Look at Sarah's http://www.trailcooking.com > recipes > breakfast. I like the PB and Honey Granola Wraps.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'll do the tortilla idea in a pita.

I do have a copy of "Freezer Bag Cooking" so I'll look at some of Sara's breakfasts.

P.S Most of my dinners are freezer bag and I plan to eat very well.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I'll be starting my CT thru hike arount the 20th. Breakfast will either consist of Mary Janes outragous outback oatmeal (with dried berries that I added), packit gourmet jump start fruit smoothies, and some of my super calorie loaded trail mix. While not exactly all that light or even economical for that matter, at least ill be eating hearty meals for breakfast.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools