Topic

my GearGram list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists my GearGram list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Wow, this site is really cool!

http://www.geargrams.com/

Check it out, I'm super impressed!

I just added my sumer list (which I'll be tweaking and revising).

This is a 3-season list for the Northern Rockies, prepared for rain, cooking warm food, sleeping warm and comfortable.

There is no set of consumables listed (yet).

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Neat site but it doesn't seem to be working on small screens or maybe just Linux platforms.

I can't get to the "plus sign" mentioned in the tutorial to add gear on my netbook running Linux Mint.

Brian Raap

@braap

Locale: Bay Area

Mike,

A few items you have listed as grams instead of ounces. For example, 9.6 g sleeping pad (wouldn't that be nice!), 1 g maps, 2.6 g FAK.

I really enjoy using geargrams as well!

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I too really enjoy that site. In my opinion it is much easier to read (and thus get more helpful critiques) compared to an exel doc. I also feel like I can play with various setups much easier then in excel. I also like the feature of being able (on other people's gear lists especially) to change from viewing weight in oz, lbs, grams and kg. It seems to me like its a very well though out site and pretty fun to use. Lets hope it stays free!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I like it too. Here is my summer breaking into shoulder seasons list in the NE:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3373

Mike – what 1l water bottle are you using? I can't find anything local that is less than 1oz. :(

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Mike,

Tell me about your modified Golite Breeze that you are using in this list.

Jason

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

1- The 0.8 ounce water bottle is just a normal 'spring-water' bottle from the grocery store (or, more correctly for me, from my neighbors recycle bin). It has a slightly thinner plastic vs a standard soda bottle.

2 – The GoLite Breeze was a pack that was designed by Ray Jardine. It's no longer available. I replaced the shoulder straps with seat-belt material (and it works PERFECT!). I sniped a few things off, and added a sternum strap and a 1/2 webbing hip belt. 14.6 ounces of beauty!

I have gone out lighter by leaving stuff behind, but this list allows for comfort, warmth and hot food.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

(Sorry for the detour)

It bugged me my 1l water bottle was so "heavy." :p

Went to Stop & Shop and picked a Poland Spring 1L bottle @ 16g/0.56oz after removing wrapping and plastic bit under the cap):

2qerv

It's definitely thinner and a bit more fragile than my regular soda bottle types, we'll see how it goes. They have a 1.5l bottle as well, but doesn't fit well in my pack.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I've been using one of those super light plastic "spring water" bottle for a while, Never had any trouble at all!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Weighed the 1.5l Poland Springs bottle (http://www.buygourmetfoods.com/w/Spring-Water/Poland-Spring-Natural-Spring-Water-1-5-L-B003UH836I.htm). It weighs in at 24g/0.85oz. It is lighter than my 2l Platy (32g/1.13l).

So 1l Poland Springs (16g) plus 2l Platy (32g) = 48g

Same capacity and weight as….

1.5L Poland Springs (24g) plus 1.5l Poland Springs (24g) = 48g

So my pack will now be balanced from left to right as I carry water and perhaps the Poland Springs bottles are more durable than the Platy? (I've never had a problem with one, but perhaps?)

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I'll have to check out the Poland Springs bottle, I'm curious how they were able to get 3 grams lighter than my Deer Park bottle.

If you want to shave another 0.6 grams off each narrow-mouth bottle use a rotary tool to grind off the useless flange underneath the cap. This is now SOP for me.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

fanaticism. I absolutly love it. I now know what I am going to be doing tommorow!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Good one Chris, I already clipped the bottom part of the cap off, I'll have to take it to the next level haha.

James McBryan

@jamesprepatrip

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hey guys,

I've used geargrams.com and love it as well, however kept running into issues. I recently just created a new online outdoor planning tool called Prep.a.Trip (http://www.prepatrip.com) to help weigh/inventory my gear.

Beyond weighing your own gear, you can also browse other peoples lists and also organize group trips with our gear planning / packing tool.

Right now we’re still in beta and have only done a “silent launch”. I'm totally open to any feedback you might have to make it better for all of us. If you do have any questions, I’d be happy to chat with you, just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Cheers!
    James

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools