Topic

My socal summer list.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My socal summer list.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

List for local overnighters and weekends around socal

GG Gorilla with sleepsocks for shoulder pads, 30.9oz 875g
    Hs sublite sil Tent, 27.0oz 765g
    Tyvek ground cover 4.5oz 128g
    Steaks In Tyvek sleeve 2.8oz 80g

40* big Agnes 16.8oz 477g
    Exped synmat ul7, 16.4oz 465g
    Pillow pump, 5.6oz 158g ( I've tried other options repeatedly and this keeps my shoulders from being sore from sidesleeping but am open to suggestions)

Messkit ti-tri w/inferno and fuel bottle 12.1oz 343g
    Steripen 4.6oz 129g
    2.5l platypus,1.5oz 43g
    1l platypus, 1.2oz 35g
    Drinking Hose ,2.0oz 57g
    Hang Kit, 4.0oz 112g
    Treatment/prefilter water Bag, 1.6oz 45g
    Stoic Softshell Pants, 12.7oz 359g
    Long Sleeve Merrino, 8.1oz 230g
    Thermarest stuffsack pillow ,2.5oz 71g
    Bark river necker2 with spark ,4.7oz 132g
    Repair kit(duct tape, triptease, lighter, tinder, 3zip ties, patches and glue for sleeping pad),4.2oz, 118g
    HeadLamp ,2.5oz 70g
    Iphone(gps, books) 5.5oz 155g
    Bandana,1.2oz 33g
    Towel(only goes if I'm burning wood in the ti-tri, use the bandana to wrap around the messkit to keep soot off my gear) 1.4oz ,40g
    Ti Trowel, 0.5oz 14g
    3 123a Batteries,1.8oz 52g
    Fak, 5.7oz 163g
    Toothbrush, 0.2oz ,7g
    Soap,0.4oz ,10g
    Body Glide ,1.1oz 31g
    Deet (not repackaged),1.9oz 54g
    Sunscreen(not repackaged),1.8oz 50g
    Chapstick, 0.6oz,18g
    Toothpaste,0.5oz ,14g
    Tums In Hard Case, 0.8oz 23g
    Backup Water Tabs,0.1oz 3g
    Tp/ Wetones,1.1oz 30g
    Total 11.88lbs/5.39kg

Any ideas?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hs sublite sil Tent, 27.0oz 765g–Is this really necessary here? My usual list for here doesn't have a tent unless the weather report dictates it. Where in Socal do you usually hike?

Tyvek ground cover 4.5oz 128g–Is this like a footprint? If so, its not neccessary.

Steaks In Tyvek sleeve 2.8oz 80g–If you nix the tent, these go bye bye also.

40* big Agnes 16.8oz 477g

Exped synmat ul7, 16.4oz 465g–Its kinda funny that your pas weighs is much as your bag, but I know that some people need the pads to enjoy the trip. Maybe expirement with lighter options?

Pillow pump, 5.6oz 158g ( I've tried other options repeatedly and this keeps my shoulders from being sore from sidesleeping but am open to suggestions)–Stuffsack with clothes?

Treatment/prefilter water Bag, 1.6oz 45g–What is this?

Stoic Softshell Pants, 12.7oz 359g– Is this your rain gear? If you really feel like you need rain bottoms here, maybe look at driducks (or make a driducks skirt). Also ULA and Zpacks make great rain kilt type things.

Thermarest stuffsack pillow ,2.5oz 71g–Is this able to be filled up without the 5.6oz pump?

Repair kit(duct tape, triptease, lighter, tinder, 3zip ties, patches and glue for sleeping pad),4.2oz, 118g– Will duct tape work to repair the sleeping pad short term? You mentioned that you mostly go on overnighters or weekend trips. Also, the repair packs are a pain to use.

HeadLamp ,2.5oz 70g–If anything other then a new moon, I don't take one. I found that because I pack my pack the same way everytime, I don't have to use a light to dig through stuff. You could also try a microlight.

Ti Trowel, 0.5oz 14g–I'm jealous of that thing.

3 123a Batteries,1.8oz 52g–Why?

Deet (not repackaged),1.9oz 54g–You are in Socal, the bugs are never really that bad here. At least repackage it if you are going to bring it. Also, use the super concentrated stuff (REI Jungle Juice, Sawyer Super 100, etc)

Tp/ Wetones,1.1oz 30g–To take a page out of Clelland's book (literally now I guess), you don't need no stinken TP!

Happy Trails,

Jace

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

I guess I really dont need a tent, still a little concerned about creepy crawlies but I imagine that will go away after a few nights sans tent.
    The tyvek is a footprint so that would be nixed as well, or act as a groundcloth to sleep on without the tent.

Ive tried 3/4 prolite and the neoair trekker wide torso model and with my bad knees from skateboarding and work I need to keep them level so get a good nights sleep. Actualy when I made the switch from 3/4 to full it gave me my 1st time sleeping through the night.

I have used the stuff sack with clothes in the past but have cut so many clothes out of what I carry that I don't have enough to sleep on at night. When i go to the sierras I take my down jacket which is awesome as a pillow but it is too warm for local trips. I tried the inflatable pillows sold here in the store and they didn't work for me.

The prefilter/treatment bag is a cut down 2l bladder that I can treat water in with my steripen. It also allows me to filter any floaties.

Pants are just a pair of warm pants, I hike in a kilt and the pants are for sleeping in and nighttime lounging.

The exped pillow pump is both a pillow and a pump, the Thermarest stuffsack pillow is just a reversible stuffsack with some micro fleece on the inside so you can sleep on something a little softer to the touch. It requires no inflation. It acts as my clothes bag for packing and I fit the exped pillow pump, any clothes I have (which is usally none, maybe a short sleeve merino top that I wore hiking in) and the foam from my gorilla to make the most comfortable pillow I have slept on outside.

When I slept on thermarests I never carried a patchkit but with the lack of any foam in the exped I'm concerend about leaks, but for weekend trips the duct tape would probably hold up just fine.

Headlamp goes because I am getting on the trail friday nights most of the time to try and cram as much time in as possible so I need something that gives enough light to hike at night.

Batteries are for the steripen and headlamp, my memory is crap and I never know how many treatments my steripen batteries have let in them so i always have 2 for that and one for the headlamp.

I have always carried deet and never used it, its gone.

And the tp..I'll have to ponder that one

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Here is Mike's article regarding TP: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html

Maybe you could nix the spare batteries for the steripen as you are already carrying backup tabs. Also hiking at night is not all that bad without a headlamp (if it were to die halfway through the friday night hike). Here is what Edward Abbey has to say on the matter (from Desert Solitaire): "There's another disadvantage to the use of the flashlight: like many other mechanical gadgets it tends to separate a man from the world around him. If I switch it on my eyes adapt to it and I can see only the small pool of light it makes in front of me; I am isolated. Leaving the flashlight in my pocket where it belongs, I remain a part of the environment I walk through and my vision though limited has no sharp or definite boundary."

And regarding the pillow: One of the best things about UL backpacking it the ability to take a few luxuries and still have a light pack. I say, if its something that you feel adds to the enjoyment of your trip (wich it seems it does), then go for it. UL is all about comfort both on the trail and after hiking for a day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools