Topic

Guide Certifications

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    W. P.

@uriah034

Locale: South

I am thinking about getting a guide certification(s) for backpacking. I have some experience guiding, but would like to put some credentials with my experience. Most of this would be for my enjoyment of having these certifications, but also to give people more confidence when I guide hikes for different groups. So, what are some of the more common or reputable backpacking/hiking certifications? Also, what kind of first aid certifications are out there. Thanks.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

NOLS course and becoming a wilderness first responder.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The NAtionalski Patrol has the Outdoor Emergency Care course and book. It's nearly teh same as the standard EMT book but with winter and other ourdoor specific additions.

The 40 hour course is around $75. I think.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

WMI (NOLS) WOFR [link]

I have done this course 3 times over the years, and have benefited greatly. It is basically the same course material & similar test as EMT + it is of course wilderness oriented; 80 hours.

Carter Hunt

@thechamp

Locale: Portland, OR

Avalanche and glacier rescue courses if you will be travelling in that terrain. Taking a NOLS course is not a certification – get a guiding job and accumulate days worked or simply keep a log of personal days that documents your experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools