Topic

First Net Tent Project – Thread Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First Net Tent Project – Thread Thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Durante

@lakemaryscouter

This thread is literally about.. threads :) My two piece project includes an inner net tent design and an outer Fly. Both will be fairly light ( target is 2.5 lbs total ), so I was wishing some advice as it pertains to appropriate types of threads to use for sewing noseeum netting to the floor, as well as the fly. Obviously I realize that there may be some different choices based on the actual type of material chosen, but given that I have not made that decision, some cursory recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is a single person/solo type design, with a lifespan that will involve a significant amount of Florida camping and sunlight.

Nicholas

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

On an earlier thread, Metler Metrosene Plus seemed to work out well for the poster.
    It is a polyester covered polyester like many of the others currently on the market, but many find it superior for outdoor use to Coats, Gutermann's and the others available at the chains. It works well with modern machines, is strong enough for tents, and is quite durable. Local sewing shops are most likely to have it.

Sew with low enough tension so that the fabric will not pucker (experiment with swatches first), especially if using silnylon. When adding webbings and tapes in the sewing, you will need to tighten the tension adjustments for both threads. Again, more experimentation with swatches to get it right.

All the brands have heavier threads that are almost unbreakable, and are appealing for this reason, but often create problems in the machines, especially the more modern ones.

Here are some pix of a silnylon fly sewn for a Hubba with MM plus:
    HubbaF HubbaR

Good luck.

Nicholas Durante

@lakemaryscouter

I thank you for your assistance. It is good to know that those of us fledgling mad scientists are encouraged to dabble through all of the resources here!

Nicholas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools