Topic

Day hikes in Dinkey Lakes Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Day hikes in Dinkey Lakes Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon Franklin

@junto01

Does anyone have suggestions for day hikes in the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness? Would like to hike near or to water with plenty of epic views under 6 miles. Thanks.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Hi Jon. There are some great day hikes in the Dinkey Lakes area. It's about 6 miles from the Willow Meadow trailhead on the Dinkey Lakes Trail to Dogtooth Peak. On the way you pass Dinkey, South and Rock lakes. The view from Dogtooth Peak is amazing. If you want to make it a 6 mile roundtrip loop just head south/southeast from the Mystery Lake Trail jct. and head back towards the trailhead. A vehicle with some clearance is recommended on the final road to the trailhead.

If you're ok with doing some offtrail hiking it's possible to get into much more beautiful wilderness IMO. From the Willow Meadow trailhead follow the Dinkey Creek south. There are waterfalls, pools, fishing and a few pristine meadows. After about 2 miles the creek forks downstream to the east and upstream along the South Fork. I like the South Fork area as it is a huge granite wash with water flowing throughout the cracks and creating pools and waterfalls along the way. Total wonderland. After about 2 miles up the South Fork is Virginia Lake which is surrounded by walls of granite. If you have more time the S. Fork leads to Betty Lake and eventually Sportsman Lake after another 2 miles. The climb to the top of Nelson Mountain follows a gradual slope on the north side and is worth the effort (the other side is steep climb up a boulder field).

I was up in this area a few times last summer and saw nobody for days!

There are several other 'secret spots' in this area that have amazing waterslides, domes, pools and waterfalls. I've been going to these offtrail areas with a group every summer since the mid 90's. If you're interested here's a link to some photos of the area:

Dinkey Lakes

Jon Franklin

@junto01

Andrew, thanks for the info on the day hikes. The off-trail hike sounds great! We'll have a 4 wheel drive vehicle so we should be OK on some of those infamous roads to the trailhead. Thanks again!

BTW, great blog!

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks Jon. We're going to a site near Dinkey Dome with a group the first weekend of August this summer. Maybe we'll see you in the area. ~Andy.

Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

I loved this area, did a quick overnighter on a biz trip a few years ago. I couldn't believe I made it to the trailhead in a rental car. Those roads scared the crap out of me!

Would love to go back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools