Topic

Smith Peak – Yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Smith Peak – Yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

EDIT: I have also added this trip report to my website: https://sites.google.com/site/bigtimetravels/trip-reports/2011/yosemite-smith-peak.

On Saturday, July 2nd we headed to Yosemite for a quick overnighter to Smith Peak near Hetch Hetchy. We started at the Mather Ranger Station trailhead and made our way to Smith Peak via a clockwise loop. First stop was Lookout Point with views of Hetch Hetchy, Tueeulala Falls and Wapama Falls.
    Views of Hetch Hetchy, Tueeulala Falls and Wapama Falls

Some wildflowers along the trail.
    Wildflowers

Views to the North and East from Smith Peak. Elevation was just under 7800 feet and we only noticed one little patch of snow up there. Much more snow on the peaks in the distance.
    SP1
    SP2
    SP3
    SP4

We considered camping up on Smith Peak, but before we headed up someone told us there were a few groups already up there so we found a spot near Smith Meadow. The Tarptent Rainshadow2 that I bought on gear swap arrived the day we left so we decided to try it out.
    Camp

Smith Meadow
    Smith Meadow

The hike out
    Hike out

Apparently this is not a heavily used trail and it was a bit overgrown in some sections.
    Hike out 2
    Hike out 3

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That looks good. Did you see any good wildlife?

In the fourth photo, it is a little hard for me to tell which way you were facing. Is that Tower Peak out there on the park boundary?

–B.G.–

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Unfortunately, not much wildlife. I think one deer and a tiny mouse was the extent of it. I'm pretty sure I was facing the direction of Tower Peak when I took that photo, but not positive.

Brandon G

@bgaytan

I plan on doing Cottonwood/Mather to Smith Peak this upcoming weekend with a few friends. Was wondering if there was any high water in the region or extreme mud and if you had any comments or suggestions for us (don't misses etc)? Thanks!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

I didn't see any dangerously high water or extreme mud. At one stream crossing the water was up to my knees, but it was hardly moving, so only a minor inconvenience. Probably could've crossed without getting wet at all if I bothered to look around. I think that stream was near the southern end of Smith Meadow.

The only "don't miss" would be Smith Peak itself. Some nice camping spots up there, but not sure if it normally gets crowded. There were a bunch of people camped up there when I was there (and more heading up as we were hiking back down), but it was a holiday weekend. Lookout Point was pretty nice as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools