Topic

New ULer for the Northeast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New ULer for the Northeast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to UL'ing. Been trying to get down there for a little while. This is the majority of my list so far, what do you all think?

Updated to reflect google spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnGt-HFlXMN-dGZUaVp3dWFwdmRVaVpLd2x0SlNISUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Just a few observations

Why do you like the thumb straps and have poles too. I am not saying you can’t have both, but it is normally one or the other.

You should lighten or eliminate a lot of clothing. Other than what you are wearing, I might bring a very light sleeping/camp layer and the down hoody.

I recommend going to a knife under an ounce. You don’t need anything more unless you are using a wood stove.

Drop the multitool. They are not needed in a UL kit.

Go with one light or the other, no need for both.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

You know, I was actually thinking about the redundancy of the poles and thumb straps. My poles double as my tent poles. I may look into the benefit of switching directly to tent poles and dropping the hiking poles all together. The last time I was out (pre-UL), I found my hands swelled a bit without my hiking poles.

I actually think I've got some of the lightweight military issue polypro packed away that should be lighter. I probably don't need that for the summer. I'm thinking go to tights and keep the top (lighter than the down hoody).

I've been eyeing the baladeo, any comments? I want to make sure it's sturdy enough. I know they aren't needed, but I find that I use the screwdrivers and scissors often enough and like the idea of having pliers should I need them.

Will Webster

@willweb

My wife and I originally left the Steripen sheath behind to save weight, but on the first day of our Grand Canyon trip last year it fell ~4' onto rock and the bulb broke internally. Fortunately we had enough ClO2 tabs to get us to Indian Garden. Since then we carry the sheath. You could probably save a little weight by making one out of bubblewrap, though.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

I second the need for the sheath, mine didn't survive a 3' drop to a rock.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you have the Steripen out to use it, where it is most exposed to damage, the sheath isn't going to do you a bit of good. Mine is buried in a pack pocket otherwise, so the sheath went away first thing.

I like multi-tools a lot, but that is too much, unless you have a bike or other mechanical torture device :) I find that a Swiss Army knife with a saw and scissors helps satiate my desire for metal. Another combo I like is a good quality 3.5" folding pocket knife (Benchmade Griptilian), along with something very small and light like a Swiss Army Classic, Leatherman Micra or Style CS, or my new favorite mini-tool, the Leatherman Style at 23g.

Leatherman Style multi-tool

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

no sheath for me either…

depending on your expected temps you can likely leave the polypro pants at home and just wear the rain pants if your legs get cold at camp. also, the FA rain jacket is a bit heavy. if you're on a budget the driducks jacket will save you @ 6 or 7 ounces…

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

I have the cheap verion of the dri-ducks jacket, haven't measured it because I really like my FA jacket. I'll check the weight tonight though. Definitley been looking into a lighter multitool, there are just so many and I can't decide which to pick up. Good point on the sheath, I'll probably drop that. Will only be needing it when I'm at the water source, may be able to stash it in my hipbelt pocket.

Thanks everybody for all the comments – I know I've got a ways to go, but all the input helps.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Add a map, compass, and whistle.

You might consider carrying a little emergency tinder and maybe a backup mini Bic lighter. Natural/found tinder often takes more skill than expected to light with a firesteel.

Consider taking water purification tablets as a lightweight backup to technology.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Compass and whistle are part of my first aid kit. I generally don't need a compass in my area as all the trails are clearly marked for the most part. Mini bic is included with my cook kit, not added in the weights though. I have my tablets but have been considering not bringing them – good point though.

Do you guys have any suggestions for better insulation layers…light but warm? I tend to sleep cold but during the summer I sweat so don't want to soak my down bag either.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Seth,

I suggest creating a proper gear list with every single item listed in a series of categories. Or, better yet, a spreadsheet!

1 – It's doubtful that you get your down bag wet from sweat, much more likely it'll get damp from condensation (dew) during a cool night. Just hang it out during the day if it;'s clear.

2- NIX the knife entirely, and just do any cutting you might need to do BEFORE heading out into the mountains. A single edge razor blade is the absolute lightest cutting tool. Create a cardboard sheath using an old cereal box and scotch tape (make a tiny envelope). 0.1 ounces and about 5 cents!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What do you use a screwdriver for on the trail? The smallest Swiss Army Knife has scissors and a flat head screwdriver and is only 0.6oz.

My DriDucks jacket is 5.1oz and is my most used rain jacket. It actually breathes very well and works as well as any of them. It does have a pretty bad hood though, but it works. 15oz is pretty heavy for a rain jacket even in the rainy east where you live. I am not saying that you can’t use it and change it out later, but you might give the DriDucks a shot. I wear mine a lot and am on year number 3 with my current one. It has a bit of duct tape and will be retired at the end of the year, but I have definitely gotten my $20 worth.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

1 – The DRI-DUCKS jackets are great. Very breathable, VERY waterproof – but not very durable. They get nicked easy, and don't try to bushwhack thru the bushes with one on!

For trail hiking, they are amazing.

I've repaired little nicks on mine with low grade tan masking tape, it works great!

2 – The DRI-DUCKS pants are sorta lame, but they are easily trimmed with a scissor to make a very functional rain skirt. The skirt breaths much better for rain hiking anyway.

3 – Mini-bic weighs 0.4 oz

4 – Ditch that knife!

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with mike on the spreadsheat.

I found this site yesterday and I think its pretty badass: geargrams.com

(Looking back on this post it looks like spam. I promise its not!)

Happy Trails!

Jace

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Thank you all for the comments. I've been putting together a spreadhsheet and tweaking some things in my gear arsenal. Just placed a purchase today for my bear bag, guylines, stakes, etc. With the tweakig so far, not included the newly purchased gear, I'm under 9 lbs.

Couple more days and I'll be able to repost my gearlist, spreadsheet style. Hoping to get the mesh sewed on to the tent by the end of next week…if my wife will cooperate!

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Okay, so I've put everything together finally and have posted everything into the Google spreadsheet.

Here's the link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnGt-HFlXMN-dGZUaVp3dWFwdmRVaVpLd2x0SlNISUE&hl=en_US

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Your gear list looks better. Couple of thoughts:

• You might consider lightening up on the glasses and case. You can make your very own lightweight case using Tenite Butyrate Tubing obtainable here. My Maui Jim glasses and this case are 1.3oz.
    • For toothbrush, get the CVS equivalent of the Colgate Wisp at 0.1 oz, and make Clelland's dots at 0.3 oz.
    • My insect repellant in a mini-dropper container weighs 0.4 oz. It is 100% deet so I only need a couple of drops to cover all my exposed skin.
    • Same with hand sanitizer
    • Depending on where you're headed, at some point you might consider upgrading the 1/4 zip fleece to a down shirt/sweater. You'll get more warmth for same or maybe slightly more weight. The Patagonia Down Shirt is 6.5 oz, Down sweater is 13.9oz.
    • My driducks jacket is 6.2oz. Great for a budget lightweight raincoat.
    • Did you decide to carry tent poles instead of hiking poles?
    • I'm experimenting right now with the Sawyer 0.1 squeeze water filter that is 2.4 oz to replace the 3.6oz Steripen.
    seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Good thought on the glasses. I have plans of going to something different, but will defintitely look into your suggestion. I've tried those Wisp toothbrushes before and haven't liked them much, perhaps I will try again. What are Clelland's dots?

I'll have to pick up some more containers to repackage my bens and hand sanitizer – may drop the sanitizer together as I found on the last trip I didn't use it.

I have a First Ascent downlight hoody. It weighs about 14 oz. but I don't have a need for it right now. I really don't even have a need for the fleece. This past weekend all I brought was my rain jacket. I have a cheaper version of the driducks and am looking at modding it soon. Concerned with seam sealing my sewing on these though. Has anybody modded their driducs with positive results? I think I'll be able to get it near the 6 oz.

Yes, I figured that my pack was light enough now that I didn't need poles. Tried it this weekend with the thumbstraps and will be dropping those as well so cut another oz. there.

What is the .1 squeeze filter? I'm familiar with the aquamira frontier but want to stay away from that since I would still need tablets/drops. I think the convenience of drinking my water 90 seconds after filling up my bottle.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Here are some commentaries on the squeeze filters:

Here

And here.

You may not need poles to support your weight, but they do help many with the walking, and they support your tent.

Clelland's dots

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Interesting article on the dots…may just go with the baking soda/dr. bronners route. Or, no toothpaste at all. Not sure about the latter though.

Well, I was looking into the new BD carbon poles but even those are still 9 oz. I found a lot of people didn't need the poles when their pack is that light and essentially found the same this weekend. My tent poles weigh less than 4 oz which is better than any hiking pole. I suppose i could simply just try and find sticks in the woods and eliminate the 4 oz all together though.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

– Do expect to spend a lot of time in camp? (If so, more clothing for insulation might be needed, if not take less and when u setup camp, cook/eat, then hop into warm sleeping bed.)

– What temperature range do you want covered?

– NE can have some nasty storms… will you be on the trail for days where u can't get away from the rain or more of a wknd fair weather hiker where you may not need as bomber protection from the rain?

Here is my summer, starting into shoulder seasons <5 SUL base weight list for the NE:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3844

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

I tend to spend a bit more time in camp than others simply because I generally go on weekend hikes so I keep my mileage to a reasonable amount. However, I'll be finishing out the AT with a friend at the end of the month so will need to be averaging 15-20 miles a day to complete in 10 days.

Temp range should be all set for what I'm doing, maybe down to the 30's. I want to pick up a pair of light leggings which will allow me to get rid of pants. I have a cheap stearns eco dry jacket which is like the dri-ducks. I tweaked it yesterday but it's still almost 10 oz. I really need BPL to sell the real dri ducks again.

I don't imagine I will need to worry about the storms either, I generally hike through and should be fine.

I just finished making my 2 person Henry Shires tarptent. My wife will kill me if I tell her I'm looking at a cuben fiber solo right now. BUT, that is on the list for next summer I believe.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools