Topic

Tripod as Shelter “pole”?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Tripod as Shelter “pole”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Dondo's recent post on modifying trekking poles to integrate into a tripod setup had me thinking. Has anyone ever tried using their tripod to pitch their shelter….specifically a mid or Trailstar? I realize this would only apply for those who hike sans poles, but if a little wear and tear on your tripod isn't a concern this seems like a viable multipurpose solution.

I'm currently looking for a durable carbon tripod and I'm also using my trekking poles less with every trip it seems.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I thought about using my trekking poles for part of my tripod. Problem is I use my poles for shelter and take pictures in the magic hours when the shelter is up. My hiking tripod is to small for a shelter and my next tripod is heavier than I want to carry and would take up to much space inside my Solomid. Both tripods are carbon Gitzo's.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I also considered using my tripod as a shelter pole, but for the same reasons as Carl I often get my best shots after I've set up my shelter and have time to wander around, so it never worked for me.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Most full size tripods will be high enough for a 1-3 person mid . (mine is of the compact variety…)
    tripod mid
    Mid and tripod 2
    You could even set it up with the legs slightly apart and push them together if the mid sags or (if you have) don't fully extend the central column and then wind it up to set the shelter in tension again.
    I don't see pulling the tripod out to take some pics and repositioning it after as a big deal unless there is another person inside or it is raining. In that case you probably would not be taking pictures anyway…
    My tripod is 800g/1 lb 12oz, 150cm/59" high with the legs close and handle up. Folds down to 14"
    Franco

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

All great points and perspective everyone, thanks.

Franco, excellent example, exactly what I had in mind. The allure of my trekking poles is starting to wear, yes they're very functional and often beneficial, occasionally almost requisite, but fiddling with trekking poles, tripod, camera, and lenses, while hiking and photographing isn't exactly a very smooth process for me at this time. I may try this option sometime this season and simplify things by ditching my trekking poles once or twice.

Thanks for the insight guys.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Franco, picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like a good solution there. Maybe there is hope yet!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools