Topic

Bivy Condensation literature review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy Condensation literature review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Hey folks,
    out of my own curiosity and search for answers I have done a big review all over the internet and other sources on bivys and condensation. Of course most of the best stuff is from right here on BPL and from all of you, thanks for that. Thought you might be interested.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Very good review! My first and only bivy was a REI minimalist and I had condensation every single night. I hated it and returned it. I use a bug shelter and tarp now. Looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like I shouldn't give up on bivy and there might be one out there for me. Thanks!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Thank you for doing all that work! Much obliged!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This is something Ive been meaning to research thank you for doing it for me I would like to try a bivy tarp combo and really I think the bivy is the tougher choice on what to buy

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Thanks for putting that all together!

Have you tried, or are you planning to try by any chance, comparing your current stable of bivy sacks against Tyvek versions? I've heard very mixed reviews on that front and am curious how they stack up against commercial offerings.

-mox

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

That's a great compilation and an interesting read to boot!

Question though, how do you like The Book of the Bivy by Turnbull? Maybe I need to read it again but, after having it recommended so many times I finally broke down and bought a copy from the UK, and I found it nearly worthless when compared to all I had learned on here.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Thanks all for the input.

Mike, I did not come across any Tyvek reviews so can't really comment on that. Not sure of the chemistry on Tyvek but I am sure someone here can comment. I do have a friend who works for Dupont selling Tyvek, maybe I will see if he can illuminate me.

Larry, yeah the Book of the Bivvy is a bit quirky but I think that he is really just trying to show people the potential beauty of just rolling the bag out where ever you like best. The only real details are on a few pages around pages 42-50. Looks like he is mostly using a Terra Nova Discovery bivy with Gore-Tex FLO2 at 18 oz.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. I enjoyed going through everything and found the info helpful.

Daryl

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools