Topic

Center Basin and Junction Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Center Basin and Junction Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Thinking about throwing a different wrinkle into a trip in Sept. I was wondering how the travel is in Center Basin as well as the trail (use trail…old JMT trail) up and over Junction Pass. Does it hook up with the westen side of Shepherds Pass???

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Does it hook up with the westen side of Shepherds Pass???"

Ken,

I haven't been into Center Basin and cannot tell you how the trail is on that side, but it definitely connects with the Shepherd Pass trail at a feature named "The Pothole" on maps. It is visible as you ascend/descend the Shepherd Pass trail. I have talked to a couple of hikers who had used the trail and they had difficulty following it up to Junction Pass from The Pothole, frequently losing it in the brush down low. Personally, I think it would be hard to get very far off route, as the trail goes up a valley. The beta is to stay to the right(east) side of the valley going north, and to the left if you are coming south from Center Basin. Also, you might want to check with the rangers on the current bear situation in Center Basin. It was closed to camping several years ago after a couple of hikers got injured trying to keep bears away from their food. It may have quieted down by now, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks for the beta Tom. I do remember something about Center Basin being closed to camping a few years back….Basically we are going in over Kearsarge into Center Basin over Junction, over Sheppards (which I now see on the map that yes, you are correct that it ends up at The Pothole) and then over Shepherds Pass, down and over to Forester and back to the trailhead.

From my maping software it shows the trail heading south out of Center Basin and onwards to Junction Pass ascends on the western side. It looks much safer than my idea of heading over Harrison, Lucys, and Millie's footpath.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Basically we are going in over Kearsarge into Center Basin over Junction, over Sheppards (which I now see on the map that yes, you are correct that it ends up at The Pothole) and then over Shepherds Pass, down and over to Forester and back to the trailhead."

That sounds like a nice route to me. It will give you some of the best of Shepherd Pass without the hot slog coming up from the TH to The Pothole.

"It looks much safer than my idea of heading over Harrison, Lucys, and Millie's footpath."

+1

Have a great trip! And let us know how it went. I'll be particularly interested in what you find going from Center Basin to The Pothole. I've heard stories all over the map. I may get up there myself on a short trip in October, not sure yet, and I'd be interested in any feedback you can provide.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Most definately Tom. I will pass on photos and tales! I hope this happens as it looks like magnificent country

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I hope this happens as it looks like magnificent country"

+1. It's hard to go wrong in that area.

Dave T

@davet

Kirchner approved!

Have a great time…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools