Topic

Another MYOG pre-filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG pre-filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

I am tired of holding my pre-filter when filtering high sediment water. Here is the solution I came up with, using a 2 liter bottle and my standard carry Gatorade bottle. The filter media is 1 micron polyester biodiesel filter.
    Drill hole in cap
    Trim filter to fit
    Screw filter onto bottle
    Invert into bottle
    0.8 oz

What are your ideas for making it lighter?

part1

part2

part3

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Good job, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I've been using the Diesel filters inside a funnel but thought about this cap thing as well. The thinking I had behind it was you could just use another cap as one gets dirty.

Looks like it fits nicely inside the Gatoraid bottle as well.

Cheers, Making this later tonight.

-Edit- What did you use to drill the hole? Just a big bit? I think the largest I have is an inch.. thinking that should do.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Neat idea but not much surface area for filtering. How about skipping the cap and using a rubber band to hold a larger piece of filter (3" circle?) around the funnel outlet. Some of the filter could thus extend past the end of the 'bottle-funnel' and might allow for faster filtering.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

I drilled a pilot hole in the center of the cap, then used a stepped drill bit.

drill2

I tried using a bigger filter, wrapped around, and it did not fit into the gatorade bottle very well. It also has more water weight. It takes two minutes to pre-filter a liter with a fresh filter. It would go faster with more surface area

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ken,

I did a search for the filters but come up with only filter bags. Where did you find the discs? or are those cut outs from filter bags?

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

If he's using the same bags as myself, you have to cut the filters out of the bags. It cuts fairly easy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Corey!

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

I cut the disks out of a bag.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools