Topic

what is this “wind shirt” of which you speak?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what is this “wind shirt” of which you speak?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Henry Laufenberg
    Spectator

@hankj

Locale: PNW

finally found the sense to leave the shell at home on this summer's coming Big Trip to the JMT. I'm going w/ DriDucks in case of not-real-likely rain, but but on shorter trips have noticed that dry DriDucks don't seems to block wind very well.

Am I well advised in this case to pack a "wind shirt"? I looked around REI and didn't find anything labelled as such. Can you suggest a decent wind shirt I might consider (at REI if possible so I can go take a look at what I've been missing and squander the rest of my dividend).

My torso insulation is pretty standard: puffy down, Smartwool base, and my hiking shirt.

thanks

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

First off, the DriDucks should block wind as well as anything, probably better than any windshirt.

I normally recommend Montane windshirts or the Patagonia Houdini for windshirts, but it doesn't look like REI has either, however the TNF Verto (please forgive me for recommending anything TNF) is Pertex Quantum just like the Montane windshirts and similar weight, so that is what I would go with.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I second the TNF Verto. I found it to fit better than the Houdini, and it worked very well for me on a recent trip…

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Bradford said, "First off, the DriDucks should block wind as well as anything, probably better than any windshirt." The material DD is made of seems pretty windproof, but it's not very well sealed against wind at waist, wrists and neck for me. Sewing some elastic at the waist or just using a piece of ribbon as a belt might help. Perhaps add some velcro at the wrists. Perhaps a small piece of silk scarf at the neck (or google images of cravat for a real fashion statement).

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

REI never has any of the gear listed here on BPL – even the Berkeley store! I recently purchased a wind jacket designed for bikers at REI. It was on sale for $39 and it weighs only 3oz (women). I guess it's an REI exclusive, has decent to mediorcre reviews, but the windbreaker ability appears strong. I figured it was worth a try for the price.

link

Henry Laufenberg
    Spectator

@hankj

thank you!

what is the proper way to use a wind shirt? Is it an outer layer in lieu of a hardshell?

My DriDucks are the through hiker model, which is trimmer and has elastic waist and cuffs — maybe they will suffice and I'm better of bringing a vest for extra warmth?

Best,

henry

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

What is a wind shirt? It's an extremely lightweight unlined nylon jacket, Durable Water Repellent treated but definitely not waterproof. It is far more breathable than most hard shell fabrics.

I never used a wind shirt until a few years ago when I got thoroughly munched on by biting flies in Wyoming's Wind River Range, despite my permethrin-treated hiking shirt. (When I read the label, I discovered that permethrin doesn't zap flies.) I bought a 2.4 oz. Montbell UL wind shirt primarily to keep the flies off me during rest stops, which it does do. It has since become the most versatile garment I own!

Unless it's cold, my wind shirt is usually all I need to keep me from getting chilled at rest stops. When I'm hiking in cold weather (down to freezing), as long as I'm moving, my wind shirt over a base layer (plus a wool headband and lightweight gloves) are sufficient to keep me warm. When it gets colder, a second base layer or a lightweight fleece vest under the wind shirt works great. Of course my puffy jacket comes out as soon as I stop.

Here in the Pacific NW, we get a lot of foggy and drizzly days that are cool but not particularly cold. The wind shirt works perfectly for those days, when I would get into a lather were I wearing a rain jacket while actively moving. (For me, that's true even with Dri-Ducks or Frogg Toggs.) My body heat dries out the wind shirt and the base layer underneath it in maybe 10-15 minutes at most, once it stops drizzling.

I've also worn the wind shirt to bed on occasions when I wanted a little more covering than just a base layer top inside the sleeping bag but it definitely was too warm for the puffy jacket.

And, of course, I wear it as a windbreaker!

As Terri mentions, don't expect to find at REI most of the gear the folks here use.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I bought one for spring skiing. It's made of EPIC and is sold as "water resistant" but is waterproof in all but a sustained downpour. I now use it (a) as an extra layer at lunch and rest stops (b) to block the wind when skiing in the spring [when it's really cold a use an insulated mid-layer], (c) as a summer midlayer for evening and early morning around camp, and (d) in place of a WPB rain jacket on short trips when rain's not in the forecast. If rain is in the forecast I'll use my Gore-Tex rain jacket instead.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Has anyone used one of the Stoic Wraiths and can comment on it? On the site it is listed to use nylon and weighs in at 2.5 oz.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-wraith-shell-mens

Henry Laufenberg
    Spectator

@hankj

And I definitely need to pack either a wind shirt or DriDucks to the SEKI JMT in late-July/early-August, not both.

So what's the call, TNF Verto wind shirt or DriDuck? Does it depend on the forecast? I can't imagine much rain that time of year, and if so it should be thunderstorms, not Pacific cold fronts …

a b

@ice-axe

At that time of year in the High Sierra you are going to be dealing with bright sunshine and heat. I would go with the wind shirt and let that be my insulation layer as well. I have spent 18 years in the High Sierra, mostly northern Yosemite wilderness, for ten days per trip and I have always had more heat than anything else to deal with in late August. Only in the early morning around camp, or up high while peakbagging do I ever feel the need for my insulation layer. I think the windshirt is your best bet.
    Here is an example of the environment in the High Sierra in August:View from the Crest near Matterhorn Peak in August

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Afternoon thunderstorms are very common in the Sierra in summer. In fact if you look at the weather report some are predicted for later this week. Usually the rain is short in duration, however in 2005 on my JMT trip in August it rained steadily for a couple of days! Definitely bring your DriDucks or some other rain protection. Otherwise you need to be prepared to set up your shelter whenever and wherever the storm rolls in and stay there until it blows over.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My thoughts on wind shirts:

Ultralight clothing is all about the performance delivered for the weight. Windshirts are "supershirts" than can protect from cold wind, light rain, sun and bugs. They are an important part of the layering concepts used to maximize performance. In essence, they are like the nylon "windbreakers" used since the 1960's, with improved fabrics and lighter weight.

I use a windshirt in conjunction with a wicking base layer, to add warmth while hiking in cooler weather or as it cools down at night in warmer weather. It allows using very light and porous base layers or mid-layer insulation that have loft, but don't block wind. A good windshirt should block wind, breath well, and repel light rain.

I think the windshirt concept gets a little weak when used with the lighter insulating tops like a Mont Bell Thermawrap, Patagonia Nano Puff and similar thin down-filled tops. Those tops are also delivering two layers of wind blocking material along with the insulation. I prefer to have a mid layer like Power Stretch or Patagonia R1 to use with a windshirt to allow more versatility in my clothing kit.

Keep in mind that wind pants are available as well and use the same concepts. They are not as popular and are more prone to damage. I think they work best when used with very light shorts like running shorts.

If you go to REI, you will find lights wind shells. The North Face Verto is the only one I can name that is very light. There are a number of light windbreakers offered for running and biking.

If you read more on BPL, you will find a lot of devotees to the Patagonia Houdini and several of the Montane tops. Marmot and GoLite offer windshirts and I'm sure others can add to the list.

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

In light rain a windshirt with a DWR coating is pretty nice. Water beads up pretty well on my Verto jacket.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Most windshirts tend to be sized to wear over a light layer. I tend to get a size larger than what I normally wear so I can wear it over insulating layers in the colder months in camp or on breaks.

It might be a bit baggy in the summer, but drawstring and elastics keep the wind out.

I tend use my windshirt as my outer shell in most rain and snow. I will throw a cape and rainskirt on only when it is raining cats and dogs.

I hiked all day in a blizzard last winter with just the windshirt over a couple light synthetic layers.
    I did get damp, but was warm and comfy. If I had worn a rainshell I would have been soaked from sweat/condensation.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools