Topic

Rae Lakes Loop 7/8/11-7/11/11

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Rae Lakes Loop 7/8/11-7/11/11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

I am taking a couple of younger guys on the loop next weekend. The fact that I am the "leader" and have to be concerned with the safety of the group meant that I added a couple of things that I would normally leave at home. EG Headlamp instead of photon microlight in case I have to hike out at night in an emergency, extra fuel, firesteel instead of mini bic…

It is also looking like I will be carrying 1/2 of another person's food. That plus snow gear and a bear can means my pack weight is almost half again what it normally is. So please, critique away, especially if you see anything important lacking or not well thought out.

Mike C!, you will be pleased to see that there is no TP on my list. I am a recent convert. Plus with all the snow up there it is a butt wiping paradise.

Rae Lakes Loop List

Russell Jacobie

@flyer4food

Locale: Sierras

So how was Glen Pass? Did you still need crampons?

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Hey Russell,
    Just got back in the wee hours this morning. General consensus is that crampons are not needed as the snow is very soft, but poles/axes are a good idea. I left the microspikes in the car, and for someone as inexperienced as myself it was a pretty freaky, but do-able.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools