Topic

Grivel G1 crampons ok for me?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Grivel G1 crampons ok for me?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Morning…

-1st pair of crampons.
    -Cascades
    -Hardest thing I can forsee myself doing anytime soon is Rainier.
    -Getting them for MT Adams
    -Putting them on Garmont Vetta hikes
    -I'll be using them to do hikes in winter. (I guess one good thing about Cascade Concrete- you don't posthole too often, we just need traction- so we're gonna try crampons..)

I've seen Eric Chan and Craig W talk Hillxxxx and, Camp xc90 (or something) I'm thinking steel for longevity, and a proper crampon so I won't be limited except on big stuff.

Thoughts?

I know they are new, so there probably won't be any first hand experience.
    I see it says for beginners (which I am) just wondered if anyone has sumpn to say…

Thanks gice!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to crampons…

I do have a knack for finding deals though.

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/closeout/ice-rider-44408.asp

Not nearly as light as aluminum (like the XLC 390-490 by CAMP) but they are fairly inexpensive for a full crampon.

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I haven't used the G1's but judging by the pictures they would do you just fine. They will get along with those boots fine and be ok for all sorts of walking and french technique. They will add security when kicking steps, just don't plan to do any real front-pointing in them. Your boots wouldn't put up with that either. I'm sure they will last quite a bit longer than aluminum.

vineeth madhusudanan
    BPL Member

@vineethm

Locale: Pacific North West

I would reconsider aluminiums.

They're half the weight (you shave almost a pound). They will not last as long – particularly if you wear them over much rock. You do a bit of this on Rainier in the late season – but having owned 10 point steel, 12 point aluminium and now a 12 point steel set for ice – I wish I had skipped my first 10 point steels and jumped directly to the aluminiums. Shaving a pound on a long slog is worth quite a bit :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools