Topic

500D Cordura Day Pack – Round 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 500D Cordura Day Pack – Round 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

Put my second pack together using the last of some Cordura (first). Lots of pressure to not mess up because I didn’t have any to spare! Tried to emulate the design of the 3F pack on Aliexpress.

About 25L, I think.

Notes and ramblings ahead.

Photos

The Good

• Tried a mostly new design. The first pack had a bathtub floor around the three sides, where this one has a longer bottom panel that still protects the front with a raised seam.
    • Added the cinch top strap.
    • Tried the inside-out method for straps and I like the way the look, though much more precision needed that the binding method. Spent a loooooot of time cutting the foam to fit inside.
    • Attached the straps with a contour seam (thanks to u/craig89)
    • Instead of lycra/nylon stretch side pockets, I went with bathtubby Cordura pockets cinched with elastic. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the pockets and I think they turned out well. I wish I would have taken a photo of the pre-sewn pocket shape and its measurements because I’ll need those for the next time.
    • Practiced flat-felled seams and most turned out acceptable.
    • Instead of elastic cord and D-rings on the sides, I used shock cord, pack hooks, and line locs (one side has lineloc3 and the other has lineloc lights)

The Bad

• I still have no idea how to finish the inside of the pack at the bottom corners (see second to last photo). Can someone shed some light on how they do it? What’s the order of operations for those?
    • The bottom panel comes up a little too high, so the mesh pocket could be taller as a result.
    • Procrastinated on ordering foam, so I used a thin yoga mat inside the straps. Heavier than I want them to be.

The Ugly

• I forgot to account for the shoulder straps when cutting the back panel, so it ended up being an inch short. Had to cut a 2-inch strip of fabric and flat-fell it on at the bottom to extend.
    • I made the v-shape webbing piece for the cinch top too long, so I had to cut it and overlap the ends to bring it down to size.
    • Turned out smaller than I wanted. I messed up the dimensions somewhere and the pack width is an inch less than hoped, but the collar is enormous. Need to make a tapered collar and wider pack next time. Depth is acceptable for a day pack and everyday carry.
    • I’m trying to get too cute with the compression hooks, and butt them right up against the seams. This is giving me hell when trying to assemble the panels.

For Next Time

• Will be venturing into XPac for the next build. I want to build a thru-pack for the Long Trail this fall and anticipate needing to make 1-2 packs before getting it right. Also want to experiment with frame stays and a hip belt.
    • My Singer Simple machine is being pushed to its limits. I’m so proud of it for hanging on for the ride.
    • I think I want to use 1/2″ webbing and clips for side compression, like my Granite Gear and Klymit packs.
    • Longer torso
    • Tapered roll top
    • Actual foam in the shoulder straps.
    Eliot
    Spectator

@ejdiamond

Not sure why the spaces were removed between the links…sorry about that.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools